Jul 8, 2010, 1:17 PM EDT
The other day I blew off the notion that the Phillies would seriously consider trading Jayson Werth because to do so would be to say the competitive portion of their season is over.
It seems now that either (a) the Phillies took dropping two of three to the Braves at home harder than they should have; or (b) the Phillies see themselves as a playoff team without Werth. Why? because Buster Olney reports that they’re shopping the guy. Indeed, he says that the Phillies are talking with a
lot of teams about Werth, “casting a wide net” as they look for a starting pitcher.
They could use the pitcher, sure, but what to make of the Phillies scoring runs without Werth around? Sure, he’s struggling lately, but does anyone think that’s going to continue all season? Perhaps the Phillies do. Because you can bet they are watching Domonic Brown raking to the tune of .392/.418/.686 in 14 games down at Lehigh Valley closer than any of us are.
Trading Werth would be a ballsy move for Ruben Amaro. Maybe even a brilliant move if Brown is called up and he continues to mash. But it certainly says a lot about what’s gone wrong for the Phillies this year that they’d even have to consider it.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)