Jul 8, 2010, 1:17 PM EDT
The other day I blew off the notion that the Phillies would seriously consider trading Jayson Werth because to do so would be to say the competitive portion of their season is over.
It seems now that either (a) the Phillies took dropping two of three to the Braves at home harder than they should have; or (b) the Phillies see themselves as a playoff team without Werth. Why? because Buster Olney reports that they’re shopping the guy. Indeed, he says that the Phillies are talking with a
lot of teams about Werth, “casting a wide net” as they look for a starting pitcher.
They could use the pitcher, sure, but what to make of the Phillies scoring runs without Werth around? Sure, he’s struggling lately, but does anyone think that’s going to continue all season? Perhaps the Phillies do. Because you can bet they are watching Domonic Brown raking to the tune of .392/.418/.686 in 14 games down at Lehigh Valley closer than any of us are.
Trading Werth would be a ballsy move for Ruben Amaro. Maybe even a brilliant move if Brown is called up and he continues to mash. But it certainly says a lot about what’s gone wrong for the Phillies this year that they’d even have to consider it.
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 54
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 5
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 16
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)