Jul 8, 2010, 1:17 PM EDT
The other day I blew off the notion that the Phillies would seriously consider trading Jayson Werth because to do so would be to say the competitive portion of their season is over.
It seems now that either (a) the Phillies took dropping two of three to the Braves at home harder than they should have; or (b) the Phillies see themselves as a playoff team without Werth. Why? because Buster Olney reports that they’re shopping the guy. Indeed, he says that the Phillies are talking with a
lot of teams about Werth, “casting a wide net” as they look for a starting pitcher.
They could use the pitcher, sure, but what to make of the Phillies scoring runs without Werth around? Sure, he’s struggling lately, but does anyone think that’s going to continue all season? Perhaps the Phillies do. Because you can bet they are watching Domonic Brown raking to the tune of .392/.418/.686 in 14 games down at Lehigh Valley closer than any of us are.
Trading Werth would be a ballsy move for Ruben Amaro. Maybe even a brilliant move if Brown is called up and he continues to mash. But it certainly says a lot about what’s gone wrong for the Phillies this year that they’d even have to consider it.
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 12
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 75
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- 2015 Preview: Cleveland Indians 10
- Dodgers sign Cuban star Hector Olivera for $62.5 million 55
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (99)
- Joe West ejects A.J. Pierzynski by calmly telling the Braves’ dugout “you need a new catcher.” (97)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)