Jul 8, 2010, 11:12 AM EDT
Pirates president Frank Coonelly said yesterday that Octavio Dotel “is
not on the trading block,” denying multiple reports to the contrary.
This is the same Frank Coonelly who repeatedly denied my report that Dotel had been given a ~$3 million offer over the winter, only to have it revealed later that, yeah, he had been given a ~$3 million offer. He also said that he was going to tender Matt Capps a contract before failing to do so and hid the fact that he had given his manager and GM contract extensions in the offseason.
Not sayin’ I’m always right about everything — I’m not — but I don’t think Coonelly has exactly earned a reputation as a straight shooter.
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 34
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 16
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 20
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 90
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 77
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 70
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)