Jul 8, 2010, 4:46 PM EDT
John Danks tossed a two-hit shutout this afternoon as the White Sox completed a four-game sweep of the Angels.
Since beginning the season 24-33 amid stories about how manager Ozzie Guillen and general manager Ken Williams were feuding the White Sox have won 22 of 27 games to pull within a half-game of first place in the AL Central.
Even more impressive is that they’ve won series versus three different first-place teams (Tigers, Braves, Rangers) during that 27-game stretch and just took four straight from an Angels team that was 46-38 before coming to Chicago.
If the Rangers beat the Orioles tonight the Angels will be 6.5 games out of first place in the AL West, which is certainly unfamiliar territory for Mike Scioscia and company. In fact, the Angels haven’t been this far out of first place since 2006.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 0
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)