Jul 8, 2010, 4:46 PM EDT
John Danks tossed a two-hit shutout this afternoon as the White Sox completed a four-game sweep of the Angels.
Since beginning the season 24-33 amid stories about how manager Ozzie Guillen and general manager Ken Williams were feuding the White Sox have won 22 of 27 games to pull within a half-game of first place in the AL Central.
Even more impressive is that they’ve won series versus three different first-place teams (Tigers, Braves, Rangers) during that 27-game stretch and just took four straight from an Angels team that was 46-38 before coming to Chicago.
If the Rangers beat the Orioles tonight the Angels will be 6.5 games out of first place in the AL West, which is certainly unfamiliar territory for Mike Scioscia and company. In fact, the Angels haven’t been this far out of first place since 2006.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (104)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)