Jul 8, 2010, 4:46 PM EDT
John Danks tossed a two-hit shutout this afternoon as the White Sox completed a four-game sweep of the Angels.
Since beginning the season 24-33 amid stories about how manager Ozzie Guillen and general manager Ken Williams were feuding the White Sox have won 22 of 27 games to pull within a half-game of first place in the AL Central.
Even more impressive is that they’ve won series versus three different first-place teams (Tigers, Braves, Rangers) during that 27-game stretch and just took four straight from an Angels team that was 46-38 before coming to Chicago.
If the Rangers beat the Orioles tonight the Angels will be 6.5 games out of first place in the AL West, which is certainly unfamiliar territory for Mike Scioscia and company. In fact, the Angels haven’t been this far out of first place since 2006.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)