Jul 8, 2010, 9:23 AM EST
I suspected as much yesterday, but it’s being widely reported now that Robbie Cano was ordered out of the Home Run Derby by Yankees brass. Which is fine. If I was Brian Cashman I don’t think I’d want Cano risking injury and risking some mechanical disruption as a result of swinging for the fences all for the greater glory of ESPN.
The only hiccup appears to be how it was all communicated. According to Jack Curry of YES, the Yankees had told Cano’s agent Bobby Barad that they were keeping Cano out. The Yankees told Barad that they’d gladly speak with Cano personally about it, but Barad said not to worry about, presumably because he would. Except Barad apparently didn’t tell Cano fast enough, because when reporters got to Cano before last night’s game, he was saying it was all news to him and that no one had spoken to him.
Not the greatest moment in the usually well-oiled Yankees machine, but it’s not like Cano is the type who’s going to go complaining about this sort of thing.
In other news, if Major League Baseball really wants a Home Run Derby, why don’t they just pick the top five guys on the home run leader board, whether they’re All-Stars or not?
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)