Jul 8, 2010, 9:23 AM EDT
I suspected as much yesterday, but it’s being widely reported now that Robbie Cano was ordered out of the Home Run Derby by Yankees brass. Which is fine. If I was Brian Cashman I don’t think I’d want Cano risking injury and risking some mechanical disruption as a result of swinging for the fences all for the greater glory of ESPN.
The only hiccup appears to be how it was all communicated. According to Jack Curry of YES, the Yankees had told Cano’s agent Bobby Barad that they were keeping Cano out. The Yankees told Barad that they’d gladly speak with Cano personally about it, but Barad said not to worry about, presumably because he would. Except Barad apparently didn’t tell Cano fast enough, because when reporters got to Cano before last night’s game, he was saying it was all news to him and that no one had spoken to him.
Not the greatest moment in the usually well-oiled Yankees machine, but it’s not like Cano is the type who’s going to go complaining about this sort of thing.
In other news, if Major League Baseball really wants a Home Run Derby, why don’t they just pick the top five guys on the home run leader board, whether they’re All-Stars or not?
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 15
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)