Jul 8, 2010, 9:23 AM EDT
I suspected as much yesterday, but it’s being widely reported now that Robbie Cano was ordered out of the Home Run Derby by Yankees brass. Which is fine. If I was Brian Cashman I don’t think I’d want Cano risking injury and risking some mechanical disruption as a result of swinging for the fences all for the greater glory of ESPN.
The only hiccup appears to be how it was all communicated. According to Jack Curry of YES, the Yankees had told Cano’s agent Bobby Barad that they were keeping Cano out. The Yankees told Barad that they’d gladly speak with Cano personally about it, but Barad said not to worry about, presumably because he would. Except Barad apparently didn’t tell Cano fast enough, because when reporters got to Cano before last night’s game, he was saying it was all news to him and that no one had spoken to him.
Not the greatest moment in the usually well-oiled Yankees machine, but it’s not like Cano is the type who’s going to go complaining about this sort of thing.
In other news, if Major League Baseball really wants a Home Run Derby, why don’t they just pick the top five guys on the home run leader board, whether they’re All-Stars or not?
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 23
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 22
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 24
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 68
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 44
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)