Jul 8, 2010, 6:15 PM EST
Larry Stone of the Seattle Times “hears rumblings” that the White Sox are “kicking the tires” on Cliff Lee. Setting aside the fact that it’s only July 8th and the “kicking the tires” metaphor is already played out, this is an interesting one to think about. Jake Peavy is done for the year, so there’s an opening. The White Sox could probably use a bat more than another arm, but if you’re going to win with pitching, hell, might as well win with really freakin’ spectacular pitching.
Peavy, however, is also the biggest thing working against such a deal. In that acquiring Peavy was Kenny Williams’ big move and, his last handful of starts notwithstanding, the move has been kind of a disaster. I know Williams is audacious and everything, but going back to the well for another ace seems rather risky from a job security standpoint. He’s got a team that’s absolutely rolling right now. If Williams makes a big deal like that and things go sideways, he gets blamed for messing with the team’s chi. And that’s even assuming the Sox have the prospects to make such a deal, which is no sure thing.
The rest of Stone’s column is worth a read. It’s more speculation about what could happen with Lee than rumor, but it’s new and interesting
speculation that gives a more nuanced analysis of Jack Z’s though process than the “the Mariners want a ton of prospects” stuff we’ve been seeing from everyone else. Stone’s a good writer and he understands how the Mariners work better than just about everybody.
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 91
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 27
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 66
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 257
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (257)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano signing only bad if the Mariners stop now (93)