Jul 8, 2010, 6:15 PM EDT
Larry Stone of the Seattle Times “hears rumblings” that the White Sox are “kicking the tires” on Cliff Lee. Setting aside the fact that it’s only July 8th and the “kicking the tires” metaphor is already played out, this is an interesting one to think about. Jake Peavy is done for the year, so there’s an opening. The White Sox could probably use a bat more than another arm, but if you’re going to win with pitching, hell, might as well win with really freakin’ spectacular pitching.
Peavy, however, is also the biggest thing working against such a deal. In that acquiring Peavy was Kenny Williams’ big move and, his last handful of starts notwithstanding, the move has been kind of a disaster. I know Williams is audacious and everything, but going back to the well for another ace seems rather risky from a job security standpoint. He’s got a team that’s absolutely rolling right now. If Williams makes a big deal like that and things go sideways, he gets blamed for messing with the team’s chi. And that’s even assuming the Sox have the prospects to make such a deal, which is no sure thing.
The rest of Stone’s column is worth a read. It’s more speculation about what could happen with Lee than rumor, but it’s new and interesting
speculation that gives a more nuanced analysis of Jack Z’s though process than the “the Mariners want a ton of prospects” stuff we’ve been seeing from everyone else. Stone’s a good writer and he understands how the Mariners work better than just about everybody.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 40
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 28
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 77
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (103)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)