Jul 8, 2010, 6:15 PM EDT
Larry Stone of the Seattle Times “hears rumblings” that the White Sox are “kicking the tires” on Cliff Lee. Setting aside the fact that it’s only July 8th and the “kicking the tires” metaphor is already played out, this is an interesting one to think about. Jake Peavy is done for the year, so there’s an opening. The White Sox could probably use a bat more than another arm, but if you’re going to win with pitching, hell, might as well win with really freakin’ spectacular pitching.
Peavy, however, is also the biggest thing working against such a deal. In that acquiring Peavy was Kenny Williams’ big move and, his last handful of starts notwithstanding, the move has been kind of a disaster. I know Williams is audacious and everything, but going back to the well for another ace seems rather risky from a job security standpoint. He’s got a team that’s absolutely rolling right now. If Williams makes a big deal like that and things go sideways, he gets blamed for messing with the team’s chi. And that’s even assuming the Sox have the prospects to make such a deal, which is no sure thing.
The rest of Stone’s column is worth a read. It’s more speculation about what could happen with Lee than rumor, but it’s new and interesting
speculation that gives a more nuanced analysis of Jack Z’s though process than the “the Mariners want a ton of prospects” stuff we’ve been seeing from everyone else. Stone’s a good writer and he understands how the Mariners work better than just about everybody.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 2
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 38
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)