Aubrey Huff lashes out against All-Star game, fans

Jul 9, 2010, 8:02 PM EDT

Aubrey Huff is having a pretty great first half for the Giants. He entered play Friday batting .298/.384/.556 with 17 homers and 54 RBI over 295 at-bats. Some might even say he’s “All-Star worthy.” In turn, Mychael Urban of CSNBayArea.com asked him if he would consider going to the game as an injury replacement. Apparently not.

“It’s a sham,” Huff told CSNBayArea.com by phone Friday morning from
Washington, D.C. “To me, the All-Star Game is retarded.”

Go ahead and call Huff inarticulate or politically incorrect if you want. That’s fine. He deserves it. But believe it or not, that might not be the dumbest thing he said during this interview. He continued:

“It’s so backward, it’s a joke,” said Huff, a 33-year-old veteran of
11 big-league seasons who has never been an All-Star. “I mean, if you
want to make the game mean something and be so important with the World
Series thing, why are you letting the fans pick the starters?

“If
the game’s that big of a deal, it should be the managers and players
picking the team, because they really know who the best players are. Let
the fans pick that last guy in the internet thing. That’s enough. The
way they have it now, though, with the fans picking the starters, it’s
either the most popular players or the guys on the big-market teams –
the cities with the most fans, like the Yankees and Boston and Philly –
just dominating the voting.”

I’m not going to go over every starter one by one and evaluate whether they deserve to be there, because I honestly don’t care. But I think we can all agree that this is probably the wrong year to make the argument that managers should have expanded authority on the complexion of the rosters.

1. naz - Jul 9, 2010 at 9:37 PM

I hear ya Huffer an what about that twitter freak Swisher. No way that wannabe is an all star he couldn’t hold Youk’s jockstrap or Michael Young’s either,play by the rules there Swishalicious

2. Boo Hoo Florio picked on your team - GET OVER IT - Jul 9, 2010 at 9:42 PM

Huff has a point or two, but he’s biting the hands that feed him: the fans. Who pays your salary, buddy? Yep, that’s right. The people who crank past those turnstiles. Let the fans have a say in SOMETHING. Even if it’s a glorified popularity contest in theory.

3. bigtrav425 - Jul 9, 2010 at 11:31 PM

He is 100 percent CORRECT! Whoever doesnt agree with him is entirely to politically correct.Im glad someone even if it is Huff is speakin out and saying it how it is! Good Job Huff! u just became one of my new fav players

4. adam - Jul 10, 2010 at 12:03 AM

This all boils down to the problem with the All Star Game, they tried to “make it count” when it’s just an exhibition game.

5. MerkleBoner - Jul 10, 2010 at 12:08 AM

The only thing that matters to Huff is Giants fans and we all love Huffy. My favorite water buffalo in the league and a guy who’s not afraid to say what he thinks, Aubrey is the man.

6. EG - Jul 10, 2010 at 2:13 AM

He’s 100% correct. Either the game “counts” & each league should put the best team on the field in order to win the game…or…it’s an exhibition & the fans can choose who they want to see. It might not be the most popular thing to say coming from a player, but at least it’s honest and truthful.

7. Paper Lions - Jul 10, 2010 at 9:42 AM

…but he is 100% WRONG about the players and coaches knowing who the best players are….clearly, they don’t. It would still be a popularity contest.

8. Megary - Jul 10, 2010 at 12:26 PM

So who is it exactly that knows who the best players are and should therefore be responsible for selecting the All-Star team? (Besides me, I mean.)
    Anyone?

9. Ditto65 - Jul 10, 2010 at 4:59 PM

NEWSFLASH: The ALL-STAR game is a popularity contest. Whether it is the players/coaches, sportswriters, or fans selecting the players, popularity comes into play. GET OVER IT.
    Oh, and I hope Swisher has an All-Star bonus in his contract. :-)

10. The Rabbit - Jul 12, 2010 at 3:40 PM

I made exactly the same comment to my son this morning….and because I respect honesty over BS and pandering to those that need ego strokes, Aubrey Huff has my vote.

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS