Jul 9, 2010, 1:45 PM EDT
Carlos Delgado has started running again following a pair of hip surgeries and told a Puerto Rican newspaper that he plans to sign with an MLB team by the end of this month:
We’ve contacted a few teams to let them know that I’m working out and I expect to return. Pretty much planting the seed. Once I can reach five days in a row doing full workouts, the doctor will feel comfortable in letting me play. The important thing is to not take any steps backwards.
Delgado hasn’t played since May of 2009, but the 38-year-old first baseman said he’d have “no problems” proving himself in the minors before a potential call-up and is hoping to play next season as well, no doubt in the hopes of adding the 27 homers needed to reach 500 for his career.
At his age being sidelined for 15 months following major surgery makes Delgado a huge question mark, but he did hit .298/.393/.521 in 26 games for the Mets before going down last season and has never been a below-average hitter. He’d certainly be worth a flier for contenders in need of some lineup help at first base or DH.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (95)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)