Jul 9, 2010, 1:45 PM EDT
Carlos Delgado has started running again following a pair of hip surgeries and told a Puerto Rican newspaper that he plans to sign with an MLB team by the end of this month:
We’ve contacted a few teams to let them know that I’m working out and I expect to return. Pretty much planting the seed. Once I can reach five days in a row doing full workouts, the doctor will feel comfortable in letting me play. The important thing is to not take any steps backwards.
Delgado hasn’t played since May of 2009, but the 38-year-old first baseman said he’d have “no problems” proving himself in the minors before a potential call-up and is hoping to play next season as well, no doubt in the hopes of adding the 27 homers needed to reach 500 for his career.
At his age being sidelined for 15 months following major surgery makes Delgado a huge question mark, but he did hit .298/.393/.521 in 26 games for the Mets before going down last season and has never been a below-average hitter. He’d certainly be worth a flier for contenders in need of some lineup help at first base or DH.
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 4
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 15
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 49
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)