Jul 9, 2010, 1:45 PM EST
Carlos Delgado has started running again following a pair of hip surgeries and told a Puerto Rican newspaper that he plans to sign with an MLB team by the end of this month:
We’ve contacted a few teams to let them know that I’m working out and I expect to return. Pretty much planting the seed. Once I can reach five days in a row doing full workouts, the doctor will feel comfortable in letting me play. The important thing is to not take any steps backwards.
Delgado hasn’t played since May of 2009, but the 38-year-old first baseman said he’d have “no problems” proving himself in the minors before a potential call-up and is hoping to play next season as well, no doubt in the hopes of adding the 27 homers needed to reach 500 for his career.
At his age being sidelined for 15 months following major surgery makes Delgado a huge question mark, but he did hit .298/.393/.521 in 26 games for the Mets before going down last season and has never been a below-average hitter. He’d certainly be worth a flier for contenders in need of some lineup help at first base or DH.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 32
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 376
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (376)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)