Jul 9, 2010, 2:12 PM EDT
Gordon Edes at ESPN Boston has looked at a draft of the 2011 schedule that is floating around and notices something different:
One significant departure in the MLB schedule is that the season will
begin at the end of the week (most teams will play on Friday, with
presumably one game being played on Thursday night). MLB has
traditionally opened its season on a Monday, with ESPN televising one
game the Sunday night before.
Right-thinking people rarely consider that first Sunday night game as true “Opening Day” because there aren’t a dozen or more baseball games going on in the brilliant Spring sunlight while they drink beers and laugh at all the suckers who weren’t smart enough to skip work for the day.* Monday has always felt like the real Opening Day.
If the real Opening Day is now Friday, it’s actually an improvement, because people can do the same thing they used to do — blow off work and drink beers — but won’t have to wake up early the next day. Win-win.
*Ironically, becoming a Professional Baseball Writer made this past Opening Day the least enjoyable in living memory because I didn’t cut work in the name of baseball and I didn’t drink those beers. As far as NBC knows, anyway.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)