Jul 9, 2010, 9:44 AM EDT
Dan Runzler has emerged as one of the Giants’ most trusted setup men by working around some shaky control to post a 3.30 ERA and 32 strikeouts in 30 innings after dominating in the minors, but now the rookie left-hander is headed to the disabled list with a dislocated knee suffered yesterday in his first career at-bat.
Prior to the at-bat Runzler wriggled out of the bases-loaded, one-out jam he inherited, but when manager Bruce Bochy allowed him to hit for himself in the next half-inning his knee “popped” out of place when his cleat got stuck in the dirt as he swung through a pitch.
Madison Bumgarner came in to the finish the at-bat, striking out in an outcome that actually goes on Runzler’s record. Runzler also got credited with the win, but he’s scheduled for an MRI exam today and Bochy said he’s a near-lock for the DL.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 47
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 31
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (204)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)