Jul 9, 2010, 9:44 AM EDT
Dan Runzler has emerged as one of the Giants’ most trusted setup men by working around some shaky control to post a 3.30 ERA and 32 strikeouts in 30 innings after dominating in the minors, but now the rookie left-hander is headed to the disabled list with a dislocated knee suffered yesterday in his first career at-bat.
Prior to the at-bat Runzler wriggled out of the bases-loaded, one-out jam he inherited, but when manager Bruce Bochy allowed him to hit for himself in the next half-inning his knee “popped” out of place when his cleat got stuck in the dirt as he swung through a pitch.
Madison Bumgarner came in to the finish the at-bat, striking out in an outcome that actually goes on Runzler’s record. Runzler also got credited with the win, but he’s scheduled for an MRI exam today and Bochy said he’s a near-lock for the DL.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (86)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)