Jul 9, 2010, 9:44 AM EDT
Dan Runzler has emerged as one of the Giants’ most trusted setup men by working around some shaky control to post a 3.30 ERA and 32 strikeouts in 30 innings after dominating in the minors, but now the rookie left-hander is headed to the disabled list with a dislocated knee suffered yesterday in his first career at-bat.
Prior to the at-bat Runzler wriggled out of the bases-loaded, one-out jam he inherited, but when manager Bruce Bochy allowed him to hit for himself in the next half-inning his knee “popped” out of place when his cleat got stuck in the dirt as he swung through a pitch.
Madison Bumgarner came in to the finish the at-bat, striking out in an outcome that actually goes on Runzler’s record. Runzler also got credited with the win, but he’s scheduled for an MRI exam today and Bochy said he’s a near-lock for the DL.
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 0
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 86
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 37
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 43
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 16
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The Royals asked a fan in Marlins gear to change his shirt last night. He refused. (86)