Jul 9, 2010, 9:44 AM EDT
Dan Runzler has emerged as one of the Giants’ most trusted setup men by working around some shaky control to post a 3.30 ERA and 32 strikeouts in 30 innings after dominating in the minors, but now the rookie left-hander is headed to the disabled list with a dislocated knee suffered yesterday in his first career at-bat.
Prior to the at-bat Runzler wriggled out of the bases-loaded, one-out jam he inherited, but when manager Bruce Bochy allowed him to hit for himself in the next half-inning his knee “popped” out of place when his cleat got stuck in the dirt as he swung through a pitch.
Madison Bumgarner came in to the finish the at-bat, striking out in an outcome that actually goes on Runzler’s record. Runzler also got credited with the win, but he’s scheduled for an MRI exam today and Bochy said he’s a near-lock for the DL.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 11
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 16
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)