Jul 9, 2010, 9:44 AM EDT
Dan Runzler has emerged as one of the Giants’ most trusted setup men by working around some shaky control to post a 3.30 ERA and 32 strikeouts in 30 innings after dominating in the minors, but now the rookie left-hander is headed to the disabled list with a dislocated knee suffered yesterday in his first career at-bat.
Prior to the at-bat Runzler wriggled out of the bases-loaded, one-out jam he inherited, but when manager Bruce Bochy allowed him to hit for himself in the next half-inning his knee “popped” out of place when his cleat got stuck in the dirt as he swung through a pitch.
Madison Bumgarner came in to the finish the at-bat, striking out in an outcome that actually goes on Runzler’s record. Runzler also got credited with the win, but he’s scheduled for an MRI exam today and Bochy said he’s a near-lock for the DL.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 15
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17