Jul 9, 2010, 4:50 PM EST
Tampa Bay released Hank Blalock today after designated him for assignment last week.
Blalock earned a shot with the Rays by signing a minor-league deal this spring and hitting .349 in 26 games at Triple-A, but then hit just .254/.319/.349 in 69 plate appearances before they smartly ditched him in favor of Matt Joyce.
Blalock is just one season removed from smacking 25 homers, but was actually a well below average hitter in 2009 despite the good power and will likely have to settle for another minor-league at this point even though he’s still only 29 years old.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 11
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 56
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (141)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)