I almost flew to Atlanta to slap Jason Heyward upside the head last night

Jul 9, 2010, 10:15 AM EDT

And you think I'm joking.

As I was watching LeBron James rip out the hearts of Cleveland fans over the course of one of the most cluelessly tone deaf events in recent sports history last night, the following tweet came over the wire:

@JasonHeyward A
wise man speaking, can learn smthn. #lebronjames

Jason: I love you. You know that. No one has slobbered all over you as much as I have in the past several months. And you’re young and impressionable. I get that.  But if you saw anything in what LeBron James was saying or doing last night from which you think you can learn something, you have serious, serious problems.

1. Old Gator - Jul 9, 2010 at 10:27 AM

He learned that by playing in Miami you don’t have to pay state income tax. As Nabokov wrote, once something is seen it cannot be unseen. Slap away, for all the good it will do you. As far as Cleveland fans are concerned, they also survived the Howard the Duck movie. Down here in Macondo, the Feesh tear our hearts out just about every July 31, like Scrooge and the Chihuahua were conducting some sort of Aztec solar holiday. We don’t have baseball seasons down here; we have Flowery Wars.

2. pcrm - Jul 9, 2010 at 10:45 AM

oh, give over, Craig. Lebron gave 7 years of his career to Cleveland, now he’s taking less money to play somewhere he can win. Plus if Dan Gilbert’s letter is a true reflection of the man he is, I’m not surprised Lebron wanted to leave.

3. Aarcraft - Jul 9, 2010 at 10:51 AM

I don’t think anybody but Clevelanders have a problem with him going to Miami. Its how he did it, with a dog and pony show seemingly designed to rip the guts out the fans that have lived and died with him for seven years. It was classless, egotistical and distasteful. Its amazing how quickly, and seemingly deliberatley, Lebron made himself the most hated sports figure in America.

4. Jonny5 - Jul 9, 2010 at 10:59 AM

Look, it’s all about Craig’s wife being right on the money. Again….. And he doesn’t like it one bit. Now when she tells you it’s time to do “this”, or “that” needs to get done, you’ll get to doin’ it right away, if you know what’s good for you and all…. BTW Lebron is still an a-hole for his whole “LeBron James show” crap he’s pulling. Next he’ll be charging people to celebrate his birthday with him, as other athletes have done in the past. Quite distastefully I might add…..

5. ThatGuy - Jul 9, 2010 at 11:09 AM

I truly feel for the Clevelanders. Had Mauer not extended and decided to do a show like that, only to say he was going to the Yankees it would have ripped my heart out, as im sure many Cavs fans are feeling now. Of course Mauer seemingly(how much do we ever really know about pro atheletes) is a much better person and would never hold himself out to be the spot light like that.

6. MerkleBoner - Jul 9, 2010 at 11:15 AM

Jason Heyward — Future Yankee

7. Mr. Heyward - Jul 9, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Hey, I hate the Yankees. I’m a Brave for life!
    I don’t think Lebreezy owes the Cleveland fans anything. Yes he did make this a spectacle but you think the NBA is sad about that? You think Stern is unhappy that this is the most watched NBA off season ever? Nope. ESPN sure did have a good time with it too and so did the fans of the game who couldn’t turn away. Do you think the Boys and Girls Club disliked the dollars they just received from all of this? Three players took less money to play together to make this happen, let’s not forget? Seems pretty selfless to me…
    Anyway, I digress, this is a baseball blog and I’m going to hit 5 homers in 4 games upon returning from the DL. Watch me baby, watch me…
    Yours Truly,
    Mr. Jason Heyward

8. ThatGuy - Jul 9, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Three players did not take less money. Wade got the, max deal by signing with his former team, It sounds like Bosh is getting his Max in a sign an trade via Toronto. LeBron did not get the total MAX because it will be one less year. But he more than makes up for that in endorsements and will sign another max contract when this is up.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet