Jul 9, 2010, 4:28 PM EDT
Mark Feinsand of the Daily News is talking to a source — I’m guessing a Yankees source — who says there will be big trouble in baseball if the Rangers get Cliff Lee:
“There will be a battle royale over this if Texas
gets Lee . . . Every other team in baseball is supplementing the
Rangers right now, so they have no business taking on Lee’s salary.”
That’s pretty incredible, actually, especially if it comes from a Yankees source. Baseball has given the Yankees a partial monopoly on the largest media market in the United States and, if it weren’t for the other 29 teams, the Yankees wouldn’t have any games to show on their big shiny network. To hear someone from that team complain about subsidies and that sort of thing is really, really rich.
I guess this guy would prefer that baseball do with the Rangers what it did with the Expos: tie their hands completely and let them die on the vine.
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 20
- Wrigley Field — the most human park in baseball — turns 100-years-old 15
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 72
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 46
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 48