If the Rangers get Lee, the fur is gonna fly

Jul 9, 2010, 4:28 PM EDT

Mark Feinsand of the Daily News is talking to a source — I’m guessing a Yankees source — who says there will be big trouble in baseball if the Rangers get Cliff Lee:

“There will be a battle royale over this if Texas
gets Lee . . . Every other team in baseball is supplementing the
Rangers right now, so they have no business taking on Lee’s salary.”

That’s pretty incredible, actually, especially if it comes from a Yankees source.  Baseball has given the Yankees a partial monopoly on the largest media market in the United States and, if it weren’t for the other 29 teams, the Yankees wouldn’t have any games to show on their big shiny network. To hear someone from that team complain about subsidies and that sort of thing is really, really rich.

I guess this guy would prefer that baseball do with the Rangers what it did with the Expos: tie their hands completely and let them die on the vine.

1. t ball - Jul 9, 2010 at 4:36 PM

Also, the Rangers have been underspending on the payroll, draft, and completely foregone their international free agent signings until after the sale, and gave up Michael Main to cover the salary of Molina. How on earth is taking on the relatively modest money due Lee a big problem?

2. Megary - Jul 9, 2010 at 4:38 PM

I think every other team in baseball would gladly supplement the Rangers taking on Lee, if it meant keeping Lee out of pinstripes. Heck, I’d even throw in a 20.00. Big spender, me.

3. scatterbrian - Jul 9, 2010 at 4:42 PM

Well played pun my friend.

4. YankeesfanLen - Jul 9, 2010 at 4:43 PM

Now, now, Craig, let’s not jump to conclusions here, and I say this as a registerd Rangers guy for AL West. Scrooge McLoria, for example, thinks he’s subsidizing the Rangers as much as the Universe does, and the real meaning, even if it was from a Yankees source, is that owners don’t like to even think they have to support another team.
    If Lee goes to the Rangers, I’ll say “well done” whereas David Glass will be well ahead of the Steinbrenners in yelling “foul”.
    Never complain, never explain.

5. Mr. Heyward - Jul 9, 2010 at 4:51 PM

Craig, can you post something about Lee (again) today but somehow reference the Lebron deal? I think that’d make my day. Thanks in advance.

6. monkeyball - Jul 9, 2010 at 5:04 PM

I’m less upset about the possibility that it’s a Yankee talking point than that it’s a fairly stupid talking point. Per Cot’s, the Rangers’ opening day player payroll was

7. Ditto65 - Jul 9, 2010 at 5:44 PM

$55,168,114 (26th) according to ESPN

8. APBA Guy - Jul 10, 2010 at 1:32 AM

Which is actually LESS than the $ 58M for the A’s that COTS reports. COTS reports $ 64M for the Rangers, which intuitively sounds better than the $ 55M reported by Ditto. A perusal of the Texas page on ESPN shows in excess of $ 60M in contracts owed.

9. Dannyboy - Jul 10, 2010 at 12:18 PM

Again who cares if they are asking for aid maybe its because of bad deals catching up with them. Like signing arod to 250 million dollar contract when it knew damn well that nobody was with in 80 million of that offer. I think it is a shame when a mlb team needs to have other baseball teams and the american people pick up the tab for their mis-management. 2001 baseball carried the payroll of Arizona from week 8 on look at that team and all the money they dished out over the previous two to 4 years and see what started their demise!

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3158)