Jayson Werth feels bad for yelling at fan

Jul 9, 2010, 8:55 PM EDT

As Craig detailed this morning, Jayson Werth took out some frustration on a fan for interfering on a catchable ball along the right field line during the 12th inning of Thursday’s game against the Reds. See the video here.

After taking some time to think about it, Werth is feeling some remorse for his actions.

“There’s been some backlash, I think,” Werth said. “In the heat of the
moment, and a situation that goes on, on the field, I’m definitely in a
different mindset than I would be in a normal setting. I don’t think I
would’ve yelled at anybody liked that if that wasn’t the case, with the
game on the line.

“I feel bad for the guy and the kid that was sitting there,” Werth said.
“It was definitely a little out of character. But I don’t feel bad
about playing hard, going into the stands after a ball. It’s just one of
those deals. It’s part of the game.”

That’s nice of him and all, but I wonder what he would say if the Phillies lost? Actually, scratch that. I shudder to think what might have happened to that guy if they lost.

(Again, thanks to Dan
McQuade
for the screen cap)

1. Boo Hoo Florio picked on your team - GET OVER IT - Jul 9, 2010 at 9:39 PM

And now it’s Craig’s turn to apologize.

2. Ditto65 - Jul 9, 2010 at 10:09 PM

I hope the Yankees don’t trade for him.

3. Paper Lions - Jul 10, 2010 at 9:36 AM

I think the guy in the stands is a free agent…so….no need for a trade.

4. Craig Calcaterra - Jul 10, 2010 at 10:46 AM

I’m not apologizing for anything. It’s possible for both the fan and Werth to be out of line in this situation.

5. TigerPlanck - Jul 10, 2010 at 11:37 AM

Who cares that he yelled at the fan, but cussing the guy out in front of his kid is classless, a lot like everyone in Philadelphia and that organization! Don’t worry Werth, you are writing your own ticket out of town with your play and desire for a huge contract. Go play at a Big Boy Ballpark where all your homeruns are long fly balls.

6. Addie Joss' Ghost - Jul 10, 2010 at 4:41 PM

I’m confused, a month or so ago a horse’s behind jumps OUT of the stands disrupts the game gets zapped by security, and its not all right (to tazed).
    Now, Jayson Werth goes INTO the stands, a fan attempts (it’s not fan interference unless in the field of play) to catch a foul ball, again IN the stands and this fan is at the very least partially culpable for Werth’s boorish behavior.
    The two arguments sort of contradict each other. Also the reasoning that a fan should be as aware of game circumstances is as laughable as Werth’s excuse of being an intense competitor.

7. Ditto65 - Jul 10, 2010 at 4:51 PM

“Who cares that he yelled at the fan, but cussing the guy out in front of his kid is classless…”
    Apparently, you do.

8. Boo Hoo Florio picked on your team - GET OVER IT - Jul 10, 2010 at 7:20 PM

You should be. Werth apologized and he had a firsthand account of what went down. You didn’t.

9. Old Gator - Jul 11, 2010 at 8:54 AM

I sympathize with Werth. Children are horrible.

10. DrBob - Jul 12, 2010 at 6:47 PM

Jayson was absolutely justified in going after that ball, and for responding as he did, in the heat of the moment. If you take a close look at the replay video, the man’s son was sitting on the other side of where the ball landed. He was not protecting his son. Instead, he was showboating. Neither Jayson nor the Phillies should apologize. The fan should apologize to Jayson & to the Phillies for possibly affecting the outcome of the game (fortunately it didn’t happen). The Phillies should enforce the ejection punishment for those interfering with the game. It’s unfortunate that even Howard Eskin backed down on his criticism of the interfering fans.
    If you accept the ticket license, you agree to abide by the rules, plain & simple.

Three legends off to Cooperstown