Jul 9, 2010, 8:55 PM EDT
As Craig detailed this morning, Jayson Werth took out some frustration on a fan for interfering on a catchable ball along the right field line during the 12th inning of Thursday’s game against the Reds. See the video here.
After taking some time to think about it, Werth is feeling some remorse for his actions.
“There’s been some backlash, I think,” Werth said. “In the heat of the
moment, and a situation that goes on, on the field, I’m definitely in a
different mindset than I would be in a normal setting. I don’t think I
would’ve yelled at anybody liked that if that wasn’t the case, with the
game on the line.
“I feel bad for the guy and the kid that was sitting there,” Werth said.
“It was definitely a little out of character. But I don’t feel bad
about playing hard, going into the stands after a ball. It’s just one of
those deals. It’s part of the game.”
That’s nice of him and all, but I wonder what he would say if the Phillies lost? Actually, scratch that. I shudder to think what might have happened to that guy if they lost.
(Again, thanks to Dan
McQuade for the screen cap)
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 36
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 51
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 49
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)