Jul 9, 2010, 8:55 PM EST
As Craig detailed this morning, Jayson Werth took out some frustration on a fan for interfering on a catchable ball along the right field line during the 12th inning of Thursday’s game against the Reds. See the video here.
After taking some time to think about it, Werth is feeling some remorse for his actions.
“There’s been some backlash, I think,” Werth said. “In the heat of the
moment, and a situation that goes on, on the field, I’m definitely in a
different mindset than I would be in a normal setting. I don’t think I
would’ve yelled at anybody liked that if that wasn’t the case, with the
game on the line.
“I feel bad for the guy and the kid that was sitting there,” Werth said.
“It was definitely a little out of character. But I don’t feel bad
about playing hard, going into the stands after a ball. It’s just one of
those deals. It’s part of the game.”
That’s nice of him and all, but I wonder what he would say if the Phillies lost? Actually, scratch that. I shudder to think what might have happened to that guy if they lost.
(Again, thanks to Dan
McQuade for the screen cap)
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)