Jul 9, 2010, 8:55 PM EDT
As Craig detailed this morning, Jayson Werth took out some frustration on a fan for interfering on a catchable ball along the right field line during the 12th inning of Thursday’s game against the Reds. See the video here.
After taking some time to think about it, Werth is feeling some remorse for his actions.
“There’s been some backlash, I think,” Werth said. “In the heat of the
moment, and a situation that goes on, on the field, I’m definitely in a
different mindset than I would be in a normal setting. I don’t think I
would’ve yelled at anybody liked that if that wasn’t the case, with the
game on the line.
“I feel bad for the guy and the kid that was sitting there,” Werth said.
“It was definitely a little out of character. But I don’t feel bad
about playing hard, going into the stands after a ball. It’s just one of
those deals. It’s part of the game.”
That’s nice of him and all, but I wonder what he would say if the Phillies lost? Actually, scratch that. I shudder to think what might have happened to that guy if they lost.
(Again, thanks to Dan
McQuade for the screen cap)
- Video: Jake Arrieta strikes out Chase Utley to complete his no-hitter 3
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 19
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 9
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 55
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)