Jul 9, 2010, 1:43 AM EDT
After losing 10-4 to the Diamondbacks on Thursday night, Marlins manager Edwin Rodriguez had the following to say:
“We need to get more offense, mainly from Hanley, in the middle of the order. We need more offense from Hanley. Danny Uggla has been swinging the the bat very well. The bottom half of the lineup has been swinging the bat very well, so we need to have more offense from the top part of the lineup.”
Or, you know, Edwin, you could maybe try rearranging the lineup?
And singling out Ramirez was such a ridiculous choice.
Ramirez, who has hit third all season, has had an off year by his own standards. However, since the beginning of May, he’s hit .297/.367/.515.
The far bigger problem is Jorge Cantu, who hasn’t budged from the cleanup spot despite doing little since the opening first two weeks. He’s hit .237/.292/.360 since May 1.
Cantu never projected as the Marlins’ second-best hitter, and the ridiculous devotion to batting him fourth is something Rodriguez apparently inherited from Fredi Gonzalez. If Rodriguez wants more production from the top half of the lineup, he should try putting his best players there.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 10
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 46
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 25
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)