Jul 9, 2010, 1:43 AM EST
After losing 10-4 to the Diamondbacks on Thursday night, Marlins manager Edwin Rodriguez had the following to say:
“We need to get more offense, mainly from Hanley, in the middle of the order. We need more offense from Hanley. Danny Uggla has been swinging the the bat very well. The bottom half of the lineup has been swinging the bat very well, so we need to have more offense from the top part of the lineup.”
Or, you know, Edwin, you could maybe try rearranging the lineup?
And singling out Ramirez was such a ridiculous choice.
Ramirez, who has hit third all season, has had an off year by his own standards. However, since the beginning of May, he’s hit .297/.367/.515.
The far bigger problem is Jorge Cantu, who hasn’t budged from the cleanup spot despite doing little since the opening first two weeks. He’s hit .237/.292/.360 since May 1.
Cantu never projected as the Marlins’ second-best hitter, and the ridiculous devotion to batting him fourth is something Rodriguez apparently inherited from Fredi Gonzalez. If Rodriguez wants more production from the top half of the lineup, he should try putting his best players there.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 30
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 30
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 71
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)