Jul 9, 2010, 1:43 AM EST
After losing 10-4 to the Diamondbacks on Thursday night, Marlins manager Edwin Rodriguez had the following to say:
“We need to get more offense, mainly from Hanley, in the middle of the order. We need more offense from Hanley. Danny Uggla has been swinging the the bat very well. The bottom half of the lineup has been swinging the bat very well, so we need to have more offense from the top part of the lineup.”
Or, you know, Edwin, you could maybe try rearranging the lineup?
And singling out Ramirez was such a ridiculous choice.
Ramirez, who has hit third all season, has had an off year by his own standards. However, since the beginning of May, he’s hit .297/.367/.515.
The far bigger problem is Jorge Cantu, who hasn’t budged from the cleanup spot despite doing little since the opening first two weeks. He’s hit .237/.292/.360 since May 1.
Cantu never projected as the Marlins’ second-best hitter, and the ridiculous devotion to batting him fourth is something Rodriguez apparently inherited from Fredi Gonzalez. If Rodriguez wants more production from the top half of the lineup, he should try putting his best players there.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 6
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 44
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (92)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)