Jul 9, 2010, 1:43 AM EDT
After losing 10-4 to the Diamondbacks on Thursday night, Marlins manager Edwin Rodriguez had the following to say:
“We need to get more offense, mainly from Hanley, in the middle of the order. We need more offense from Hanley. Danny Uggla has been swinging the the bat very well. The bottom half of the lineup has been swinging the bat very well, so we need to have more offense from the top part of the lineup.”
Or, you know, Edwin, you could maybe try rearranging the lineup?
And singling out Ramirez was such a ridiculous choice.
Ramirez, who has hit third all season, has had an off year by his own standards. However, since the beginning of May, he’s hit .297/.367/.515.
The far bigger problem is Jorge Cantu, who hasn’t budged from the cleanup spot despite doing little since the opening first two weeks. He’s hit .237/.292/.360 since May 1.
Cantu never projected as the Marlins’ second-best hitter, and the ridiculous devotion to batting him fourth is something Rodriguez apparently inherited from Fredi Gonzalez. If Rodriguez wants more production from the top half of the lineup, he should try putting his best players there.
- Who really owns a home run ball? 56
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 127
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Remembering David Letterman’s best sports moments 11
- Ryan Zimmerman is Mr. Walk-Off (and the numbers to prove it) 11
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)