Jul 9, 2010, 9:30 AM EST
It’s one thing when sports business reporters and bloggers and other assorted riffraff suggest that team Greenberg/Ryan’s bid for the Rangers is in trouble, but it’s another thing altogether when Nolan Ryan himself says it. Here’s ESPN Dallas/Fort Worth’s Richard Durrett:
Team President president Nolan Ryan acknowledged Thursday that his group, which
includes Pittsburgh attorney Chuck Greenberg, might not end up owning
the team. He added that he wasn’t sure what he might do after this
season should Houston businessman Jim Crane, who is trying to get back
in the bidding, ends up owning the team.
“It’s a good possibility that it might not happen,” Ryan said about
owning the team.
Ryan’s pessimism comes as a hearing scheduled for today was canceled and bickering continues over the process by which the team is to be auctioned. Initially the process seemed pretty slanted towards Greenberg and Ryan — Major League Baseball got veto power over the winner — but now that’s not at all clear, either because the process will be different, baseball is getting cooler with the notion of Crane owning the team or both.
The unmitigated disaster continues. But hey, at least the Rangers themselves are playing some pretty fantastic baseball this year.
- UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano 76
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (98)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (87)
- UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano (82)