Jul 9, 2010, 9:30 AM EST
It’s one thing when sports business reporters and bloggers and other assorted riffraff suggest that team Greenberg/Ryan’s bid for the Rangers is in trouble, but it’s another thing altogether when Nolan Ryan himself says it. Here’s ESPN Dallas/Fort Worth’s Richard Durrett:
Team President president Nolan Ryan acknowledged Thursday that his group, which
includes Pittsburgh attorney Chuck Greenberg, might not end up owning
the team. He added that he wasn’t sure what he might do after this
season should Houston businessman Jim Crane, who is trying to get back
in the bidding, ends up owning the team.
“It’s a good possibility that it might not happen,” Ryan said about
owning the team.
Ryan’s pessimism comes as a hearing scheduled for today was canceled and bickering continues over the process by which the team is to be auctioned. Initially the process seemed pretty slanted towards Greenberg and Ryan — Major League Baseball got veto power over the winner — but now that’s not at all clear, either because the process will be different, baseball is getting cooler with the notion of Crane owning the team or both.
The unmitigated disaster continues. But hey, at least the Rangers themselves are playing some pretty fantastic baseball this year.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 10
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 44
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (92)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)