Philly fan pulls a Bartman on Jayson Werth

Jul 9, 2010, 11:12 AM EDT

The fact that Jayson Werth has a lot of suitors might suit him just fine, because he’s not exactly enamored with Phillies fans right now.  Well, at least one of them.

Last night Werth ranged over the the first base line to try and catch a foul ball.  And he probably would have gotten it if it hadn’t been for a fan pulling a Bartman and catching it himself. Check out
the video here

Look, I get the whole “caught up in the moment” thing, especially when you’re at the game with your kid like Mr. Green shirt was. But if you have those seats how do you not remind yourself during the game that — hey — our ace right fielder might be able to reach in here and catch it?

To the fan’s credit, he looked sufficiently shamed. And hey, at least it didn’t end up costing Philly the ballgame.  But gee whiz.

(screen cap by Dan McQuade)

1. Chris Fiorentino - Jul 9, 2010 at 11:21 AM

Craig, I couldn’t disagree with you more. The guy did NOT reach out onto the field. He stood up, stayed straight up, and made the catch ABOVE his kid. Had he not done that, and the ball gets past Werth, it hits his kid in the freaking head. I don’t know…but in that situation, I’m not letting Werth reach into the stands and hope he catches the ball instead of missing it and it hits my kid.

2. Craig Calcaterra - Jul 9, 2010 at 11:23 AM

I’m not buying any kid-protecting instinct explanation. I have kids. If a ball is coming at them, I don’t count on my ability to catch it (without a glove). I cover my kid and hope it hits me in the back or something.
    This guy was going for a souvenir.

3. Levi Stahl - Jul 9, 2010 at 11:25 AM

This is why I’m not a parent. Who needs such complicated moral choices clouding their clear responsibilities as fans of the home team?

4. Chris Fiorentino - Jul 9, 2010 at 11:27 AM

Maybe I’m just pissed off because the season ended today with the Yankees getting Cliff Lee(if they get him). You are probably right. Werth still should not have cursed the dude out though…maybe if he could get a key hit, the game wouldn’t have been in the 12th inning.

5. schlegrun - Jul 9, 2010 at 11:30 AM

The dude in the green shirt should have shouted back at Werth about his inability to hit as of late.

6. minnesconsin_ad - Jul 9, 2010 at 11:32 AM

regardless of whether he was trying to protect his kid or snag him a souvenir, the guy did nothing wrong. fans are part of the game. we’ve been bludgeoned to death this year by the sacred nature of the field of play — but the field of play ends where that railing begins. The fan didn’t cross the line onto the field, as pointed out by Chris above. them’s the brakes, end of story. Werth makes himself look like an absolute ass barking at the fan like that.

7. adam - Jul 9, 2010 at 11:34 AM

His kid was also behind him and in no danger of being hit by the ball. The guy actually steps forward to catch it.

8. Ditto65 - Jul 9, 2010 at 11:45 AM

I doubt Werth would have caught it anyway.

9. Paper Lions - Jul 9, 2010 at 11:58 AM

It did look like Werth would have caught it….but really, how is that guy supposed to know that Werth is even on the way? It isn’t like he can be expected to look away from the ball to check on Werth’s location and then look back up. It was a nice catch.

10. Mr. Heyward - Jul 9, 2010 at 12:08 PM

You all missed the best part of this post, which is the fact that “Pulls a Bartman” is now part of baseball vernacular! Thanks Craig! Oh, and thanks Steve! Oh, and thanks Cubs for blowing the rest of game six and then game seven in ’03 and then blaming the entire collapse on the poor guy!

11. Ditto65 - Jul 9, 2010 at 12:30 PM

Werth should apologize for his actions. If I curse out a parent at work, I get fired. maybe he forgot who pays his salary.

12. Utley's hair - Jul 9, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Add this to Victorino’s postgame comments about some fans berating him on Wednesday. These guys are feeling the stress of being the favorites to go the World Series for a third consecutive year. If you line up the last three years’ worth of stats at the break. There are two major differences: 1.) this year, the Mutts and Braves are playing better than they had been and are ahead in the standings; 2.) the number of injuries and games lost to injuries by key players are WAY up (3x maybe?). Hell, Shane’s average is down, but look at his long-ball numbers!!

The fans are frustrated at the last two months worth of offense. The players are frustrated alongside the fans. We all need to step back, take a breath and survey the situation. Panicking will not right the ship. That only serves to rock the boat even more.

Now, all this rocking-boat and Lee talk makes me want to hurl.

13. scatterbrian - Jul 9, 2010 at 1:17 PM

I am amazed this shit still happens….and it seems more often than not it happens in home parks.

14. rmcull - Jul 9, 2010 at 1:18 PM

You’re a nitwit Craig … you would cover up your kid and hoped it hit you in the back? Stand up and catch the ball.
    But you’re not as big of a nitwit as Jayson Werth …
    Jayson, you were a NOBODY 4 years ago. I repeat, A NOBODY. Now you’re a Big Timer??? Yes the guy should have realized Werth could have made a play on it, but fans don’t deserve to be berated by a player in front of a packed stadium. Mind you there were 2 outs and no men on in a pre All-Star Break game against the Reds. Not the time Jayson.
    Just know that we will always remember you were that goofy kid with the big goofy glasses, regardless of how cool you think you are now.

15. Ditto65 - Jul 9, 2010 at 1:18 PM

The phils are looking for starting pitching if you really want to hurl

16. CapePorpoise - Jul 9, 2010 at 1:19 PM

I feel badly for the son – instead of the thrill of seeing dad make a bare-handed catch, he gets to hear dad chewed out by both the nearby fans, and Jayson Werth. From the way his head is swiveling around, you know he’s hearing it all, and no explanation from dad: he’s sitting thinking ‘WTF did I just get myself into’.

17. Angela319 - Jul 9, 2010 at 1:24 PM

I have NO respect for Jason Werth!! The Phillies Fan did not reach out. The fan had the FOUL ball before Werth reach him. Then Werth dropped the F-bond in front of the fan’s son and others. Did you see the boy’s face. He was so upset. Then Werth again dropped the F-bond when he was walking away. Werth should be ashamed of himself..

18. Boo Hoo Florio picked on your team - GET OVER IT - Jul 9, 2010 at 6:05 PM

Craig, you can’t use that excuse. The guy was not being a heartless thrill-seeker. You could see right away he felt bad and his kid reflected the nature of how he’s been raised. You can’t say this father wasn’t trying to get a ball to give to his kid to cherish. It wasn’t a Bartman move – there was no way he knew for sure Werth was in position to make the catch and as others have pointed out, it was well within the railing and technically “out of play”.

All the trade deadline news to know