Jul 9, 2010, 11:12 AM EDT
The fact that Jayson Werth has a lot of suitors might suit him just fine, because he’s not exactly enamored with Phillies fans right now. Well, at least one of them.
Last night Werth ranged over the the first base line to try and catch a foul ball. And he probably would have gotten it if it hadn’t been for a fan pulling a Bartman and catching it himself. Check out
the video here.
Look, I get the whole “caught up in the moment” thing, especially when you’re at the game with your kid like Mr. Green shirt was. But if you have those seats how do you not remind yourself during the game that — hey — our ace right fielder might be able to reach in here and catch it?
To the fan’s credit, he looked sufficiently shamed. And hey, at least it didn’t end up costing Philly the ballgame. But gee whiz.
(screen cap by Dan McQuade)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 6
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 27
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 19
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 9
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 26
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)