Jul 9, 2010, 11:12 AM EDT
The fact that Jayson Werth has a lot of suitors might suit him just fine, because he’s not exactly enamored with Phillies fans right now. Well, at least one of them.
Last night Werth ranged over the the first base line to try and catch a foul ball. And he probably would have gotten it if it hadn’t been for a fan pulling a Bartman and catching it himself. Check out
the video here.
Look, I get the whole “caught up in the moment” thing, especially when you’re at the game with your kid like Mr. Green shirt was. But if you have those seats how do you not remind yourself during the game that — hey — our ace right fielder might be able to reach in here and catch it?
To the fan’s credit, he looked sufficiently shamed. And hey, at least it didn’t end up costing Philly the ballgame. But gee whiz.
(screen cap by Dan McQuade)
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 33
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 18
- Jose Abreu is third-fastest in MLB history to reach 30 career home runs 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 20
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 15
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)