Jul 9, 2010, 11:27 AM EDT
The Dodgers Dream Foundation is “a nonprofit charity whose mission is to serve the educational and
athletic needs of children and is supported by donations from the
public.” It has an annual budget of about $1.6 million. The New York Times reports that a full one-quarter of that budget — $400,000 — went to its chairman, Howard Sunkin. Sunkin also happens to be the team’s senior vice president for public affairs, which is basically a lobbying/p.r. position.
This is a tremendously outsized salary for a charity of this size to paying out to its top executive. It is also just the latest bit of evidence that the McCourts either (a) have no financial sense; or (b) have some reason to want to funnel Sunkin’s lobbying salary through the charity. And who knows? Maybe they funnel money back from the Dodgers to the charity to make up for it? Not much the McCourts do with money makes sense, so it’s hard to determine whether this is mismanagement, brilliance, chicanery or some benign work-around.
The only thing we know for sure is that the more we learn about how owners spend their money — the Dodgers owners and every other owner, really — the less we really want to learn.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)