Jul 9, 2010, 12:14 PM EDT
Buster Olney reports that the Yankees want a resolution regarding
Cliff Lee “before the game” this evening. Olney also says that the Yankees told the
Mariners that their current offer is their last and best offer. There has been no serious suggestion that the Mariners are balking. And keep in mind — while we’ve been talking about this for nearly seven hours now, it’s still only 9:15 AM in Seattle. If you’re in the Mariners’ front office you get a cup of coffee, you check your fantasy standings, you accept the Yankees’ offer and you get on with your day.
Also, Olney and others are reporting that the Yankees have not asked for a negotiating window during which to work out an extension for Lee. Which makes sense, because if the Yankees won’t talk about extensions during the season with Derek Jeter and Mariano Rivera, why in the hell would they do it for Lee?
Besides, it’s not like the Yankees won’t be able to match any offers for Lee if he decides to his free agency this winter. If Lee wants to stay in New York, he will. If he doesn’t, it will be for reasons other than money, and those are things the Yankees can’t do a thing about anyway.
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 10
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 19
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)