Jul 9, 2010, 12:14 PM EDT
Buster Olney reports that the Yankees want a resolution regarding
Cliff Lee “before the game” this evening. Olney also says that the Yankees told the
Mariners that their current offer is their last and best offer. There has been no serious suggestion that the Mariners are balking. And keep in mind — while we’ve been talking about this for nearly seven hours now, it’s still only 9:15 AM in Seattle. If you’re in the Mariners’ front office you get a cup of coffee, you check your fantasy standings, you accept the Yankees’ offer and you get on with your day.
Also, Olney and others are reporting that the Yankees have not asked for a negotiating window during which to work out an extension for Lee. Which makes sense, because if the Yankees won’t talk about extensions during the season with Derek Jeter and Mariano Rivera, why in the hell would they do it for Lee?
Besides, it’s not like the Yankees won’t be able to match any offers for Lee if he decides to his free agency this winter. If Lee wants to stay in New York, he will. If he doesn’t, it will be for reasons other than money, and those are things the Yankees can’t do a thing about anyway.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)