Jul 9, 2010, 12:14 PM EST
Buster Olney reports that the Yankees want a resolution regarding
Cliff Lee “before the game” this evening. Olney also says that the Yankees told the
Mariners that their current offer is their last and best offer. There has been no serious suggestion that the Mariners are balking. And keep in mind — while we’ve been talking about this for nearly seven hours now, it’s still only 9:15 AM in Seattle. If you’re in the Mariners’ front office you get a cup of coffee, you check your fantasy standings, you accept the Yankees’ offer and you get on with your day.
Also, Olney and others are reporting that the Yankees have not asked for a negotiating window during which to work out an extension for Lee. Which makes sense, because if the Yankees won’t talk about extensions during the season with Derek Jeter and Mariano Rivera, why in the hell would they do it for Lee?
Besides, it’s not like the Yankees won’t be able to match any offers for Lee if he decides to his free agency this winter. If Lee wants to stay in New York, he will. If he doesn’t, it will be for reasons other than money, and those are things the Yankees can’t do a thing about anyway.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)