With Lee deal in motion, all eyes turn to Jayson Werth

Jul 9, 2010, 10:29 AM EDT

George A. King of the New York Post reports that the Yankees, Red
Sox and Rays have told the Phillies that they would be interested in
acquiring Jayson Werth.

We talked about the Phillies’ rationale for trading Werth yesterday, but the interest on the part of the AL East teams is far more compelling given this Cliff Lee business.

For the Yankees, it’s a way of solidifying the lineup while solving their too-many-starting-pitchers problem.  Werth could DH. Or he could take over in right, Swisher could move to left and Gardner could become baseball’s best bench player. Or Swisher could DH. They’re the Yankees. They tend to figure out what to do with excess.

For the Rays and Red Sox it would be more a matter of survival. The Red Sox are taking on all kinds of water right now and could obviously use a big outfield bat to help cover for all of those injuries. The Rays have offensive woes of their own, and if the Yankees get Lee, they’ll need to do something to counter the move.

Like I said yesterday: it would take some serious balls for the Phillies to trade Werth and plug in Domonic Brown as a starter while still contending for the playoffs. But if they can get a strong starting pitcher for Werth — which is something they could really use — they may have no choice.

1. Old Gator - Jul 9, 2010 at 10:36 AM

“The Rays have offensive woes of their own, and if the Yankees get Lee, they’ll need to do something to counter the move.”
    Heeehahahahhoooooheeehehoooohohohoheeehaaahahahaha….oh, my ribs! Do what?

2. RICK M - Jul 9, 2010 at 10:43 AM

After the Yankees get Cliff Lee for Jesus Montero, they sand Javier Vasquez to the Phillies for Jason Werth. It’s like shooting fish in a barrel.

3. HOLLA(R) - Jul 9, 2010 at 10:44 AM

Oh wow. They’re going to trade for Lee, and then flip Vazquez for Werth, aren’t they. Damn. Just… damn.

4. HOLLA(R) - Jul 9, 2010 at 10:52 AM

A coke to you, good sir. Or coffee, if you have better taste.

5. Jonny5 - Jul 9, 2010 at 11:01 AM

Or flip Lee back to philly???? Ok, I know, It’s not Cashman who’s the idiot, it’s Amaro….. I can always hope though, can’t I?

6. Erika - Jul 9, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Stop, I am just going to start crying if this gets much worse.

7. Jonny5 - Jul 9, 2010 at 11:06 AM

Amaro will probably demand three terrible prospects for Werth. I can’t wait.

8. Jonny5 - Jul 9, 2010 at 11:15 AM

Oh, just to lighten things up a bit. Did anyone see Werth Cuss a fan out in front of his kid last night?

9. YankeesfanLen - Jul 9, 2010 at 12:05 PM

He should have cussed him out for the green t-shirt alone. Don’t tell me they don’ have Phils shirts in red to 7XLarge after all those horemeat and velveeta sandwiches.

10. Jonny5 - Jul 9, 2010 at 12:23 PM

Lol!, wait…. Not cool!!! Don’t mind me for now, I’m forced to hate all Yankees fans right now, just because that’s the mood I’m in with this Lee deal. Booo! Down with the Bankees!!!

11. Utley's hair - Jul 9, 2010 at 1:35 PM

Flip Lee back to Philly for Werth? I’m intrigued…but that may just be lightheadedness.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4978)