Jul 9, 2010, 2:48 PM EST
Released by the Cubs last week, Chad Tracy has signed a minor-league contract with the Yankees.
Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reports that Tracy will head to Triple-A, where he’ll “provide protection for Alex Rodriguez and his sometimes balky hip.” Which is true, kind of, except there’s little chance of the Yankees actually giving Tracy significant playing time at third base should Rodriguez be sidelined.
Tracy had a nice three-season run for the Diamondbacks from 2005-2007, but hasn’t been healthy or effective since then, hitting just .253/.308/.394 in 629 plate appearances while missing chunks of time with various injuries.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 10
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 55
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (141)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)