Jul 9, 2010, 2:48 PM EDT
Released by the Cubs last week, Chad Tracy has signed a minor-league contract with the Yankees.
Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reports that Tracy will head to Triple-A, where he’ll “provide protection for Alex Rodriguez and his sometimes balky hip.” Which is true, kind of, except there’s little chance of the Yankees actually giving Tracy significant playing time at third base should Rodriguez be sidelined.
Tracy had a nice three-season run for the Diamondbacks from 2005-2007, but hasn’t been healthy or effective since then, hitting just .253/.308/.394 in 629 plate appearances while missing chunks of time with various injuries.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 3
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 3
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 36
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)