Jul 9, 2010, 2:48 PM EST
Released by the Cubs last week, Chad Tracy has signed a minor-league contract with the Yankees.
Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reports that Tracy will head to Triple-A, where he’ll “provide protection for Alex Rodriguez and his sometimes balky hip.” Which is true, kind of, except there’s little chance of the Yankees actually giving Tracy significant playing time at third base should Rodriguez be sidelined.
Tracy had a nice three-season run for the Diamondbacks from 2005-2007, but hasn’t been healthy or effective since then, hitting just .253/.308/.394 in 629 plate appearances while missing chunks of time with various injuries.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)