Jul 10, 2010, 8:30 PM EDT
Several players have bowed out of Tuesday’s All-Star Game this weekend due to injuries. Let’s recap:
Jose Reyes aggravated a right oblique injury on a long throw in Saturday’s game and will rest up instead of heading out to Anaheim, according to ESPN New York’s Adam Rubin. Reyes is hoping the All-Star break will allow him to avoid the disabled list. The Dodgers’ Rafael Furcal, batting .333/.373/.519, will replace him.
Justin Morneau suffered a mild concussion earlier this week and is still showing some minor symptoms. He bowed out Saturday, according to MLB.com’s Kelly Thesier, and Paul Konerko of the White Sox will replace him. Konerko has a .298/.379/.557 batting line, 20 home runs and 62 RBI through 289 at-bats.
Jason Heyward finally decided Saturday to remove himself from the National League All-Star roster, reports Dave O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. He has been rehabbing a bruised thumb for a few weeks and remains on the disabled list. A replacement has not been named, but do-it-all Rockies outfielder Carlos Gonzalez seems like a nice fit. CarGo was on MLB’s “Final Vote” ballot, but lost out to Reds first baseman Joey Votto.
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 86
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 30
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 28
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 97
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 70
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)