Jul 10, 2010, 11:52 AM EDT
As you may recall, Dodgers right-hander Ronald Belisario was mysteriously placed on the restricted list earlier this week for the second time this season. Belisario’s agent Paul Kinzer originally used the word “anxiety” to describe the reason for the pitcher’s absence, but a source tells Dylan Hernandez and Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times that he actually left the team in order to receive treatment in a substance abuse program.
The source would not identify the substance for which Belisario is receiving treatment.
Belisario was arrested in June of 2009 on suspicion of driving under the influence. Because of the charge, the 27-year-old right-hander had difficulty obtaining a work visa from his native Venezuela and was forced to miss the first five weeks of spring training. He began the year on the restricted list before making his season debut on April 21.
Belisario has a 3.79 ERA and 1.21 WHIP in 35 relief appearances with the Dodgers this season, posting 24/13 K/BB ratio over 35 2/3 innings. He can remain on the restricted list for a maximum of 30 days.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 57
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 110
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (110)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)