Jul 10, 2010, 11:52 AM EDT
As you may recall, Dodgers right-hander Ronald Belisario was mysteriously placed on the restricted list earlier this week for the second time this season. Belisario’s agent Paul Kinzer originally used the word “anxiety” to describe the reason for the pitcher’s absence, but a source tells Dylan Hernandez and Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times that he actually left the team in order to receive treatment in a substance abuse program.
The source would not identify the substance for which Belisario is receiving treatment.
Belisario was arrested in June of 2009 on suspicion of driving under the influence. Because of the charge, the 27-year-old right-hander had difficulty obtaining a work visa from his native Venezuela and was forced to miss the first five weeks of spring training. He began the year on the restricted list before making his season debut on April 21.
Belisario has a 3.79 ERA and 1.21 WHIP in 35 relief appearances with the Dodgers this season, posting 24/13 K/BB ratio over 35 2/3 innings. He can remain on the restricted list for a maximum of 30 days.
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 46
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 29
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 52
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 29
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 48
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (187)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)