Jul 10, 2010, 11:52 AM EST
As you may recall, Dodgers right-hander Ronald Belisario was mysteriously placed on the restricted list earlier this week for the second time this season. Belisario’s agent Paul Kinzer originally used the word “anxiety” to describe the reason for the pitcher’s absence, but a source tells Dylan Hernandez and Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times that he actually left the team in order to receive treatment in a substance abuse program.
The source would not identify the substance for which Belisario is receiving treatment.
Belisario was arrested in June of 2009 on suspicion of driving under the influence. Because of the charge, the 27-year-old right-hander had difficulty obtaining a work visa from his native Venezuela and was forced to miss the first five weeks of spring training. He began the year on the restricted list before making his season debut on April 21.
Belisario has a 3.79 ERA and 1.21 WHIP in 35 relief appearances with the Dodgers this season, posting 24/13 K/BB ratio over 35 2/3 innings. He can remain on the restricted list for a maximum of 30 days.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 10
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 152
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (154)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)