Jul 10, 2010, 11:52 AM EDT
As you may recall, Dodgers right-hander Ronald Belisario was mysteriously placed on the restricted list earlier this week for the second time this season. Belisario’s agent Paul Kinzer originally used the word “anxiety” to describe the reason for the pitcher’s absence, but a source tells Dylan Hernandez and Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times that he actually left the team in order to receive treatment in a substance abuse program.
The source would not identify the substance for which Belisario is receiving treatment.
Belisario was arrested in June of 2009 on suspicion of driving under the influence. Because of the charge, the 27-year-old right-hander had difficulty obtaining a work visa from his native Venezuela and was forced to miss the first five weeks of spring training. He began the year on the restricted list before making his season debut on April 21.
Belisario has a 3.79 ERA and 1.21 WHIP in 35 relief appearances with the Dodgers this season, posting 24/13 K/BB ratio over 35 2/3 innings. He can remain on the restricted list for a maximum of 30 days.
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 12
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 25
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 349
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 54
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (349)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (180)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)