Jul 10, 2010, 7:03 PM EDT
The Reds may have missed the boat on Cliff Lee, but they are just about to get Edinson Volquez back from the disabled list.
Volquez dominated in his final rehab start with Triple-A Louisville on Friday night, allowing just one-hit over seven innings of shutout ball. He tossed 61 out of 102 pitches for strikes while fanning nine, walking three and hitting a batter. According to Jeff Robinson of the Courier-Journal, Volquez touched the upper 90s on the radar gun.
“Tonight was a strong outing, and I think I’m ready to go,” Volquez
said. “I’ve been out for nearly one year, and it’s time to go back. I’m
excited to go back to a team that is in a pennant race.”
Volquez, who underwent Tommy John surgery last August, compiled a 1.45 ERA over six rehab starts between High-A Lynchburg and Triple-A Louisville, posting a 28/8 K/BB ratio in 31 innings.
According to John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer, Volquez will be in the rotation immediately after the All-Star break, though the Reds have yet to decide which game he will start.
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 4
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 21
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 129
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 130
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 36
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (130)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (129)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)