Jacoby Ellsbury tells his side of the story

Jul 10, 2010, 1:15 PM EDT

Jacoby Ellsbury just met with reporters a short while ago at Rogers Centre in Toronto, according to Brian McPherson of the Providence Journal. And let’s just say that he didn’t do anything to put an end to the controversy.

Reportedly referring to several pages of notes throughout the brief Q & A —  thanks Scott Boras! — Ellsbury said that the fractures in both the front of his rib cage and the back of his rib cage all occurred during his collision with third baseman Adrian Beltre on April 11. This contradicts the diagnosis of Red Sox medical director Dr. Thomas Gill, who said the fracture in the back of his rib cage occurred when Ellsbury made a diving catch against the Phillies on May 23, just three days after returning from the disabled list.

Ellsbury said that he requested — but did not receive — MRI exams on both the front of his rib cage and the back of his rib cage after suffering the original injury in April.

“That’s where the pain was — front and back,” he said, referring
frequently to the notes on his lap. “That’s important to remember that.
Front and back. That’s what I asked for.”

Joe Haggerty of CSNNE.com gets a bit more specific, reporting that Ellsbury said the Red Sox told him “we don’t MRI bruises.” Wow.

Ellsbury said he actually landed on the disabled list in May due to a strained latissimus dorsi muscle that he said developed because of the fractured rib on the back of his rib cage. The posterior rib fracture wasn’t discovered until late May by Dr. Lewis Yocum. He claims that the initial misdiagnosis of the injury cost him extra rehab time.

As for spending the past five weeks in Arizona, Ellsbury insisted that he had the team’s blessing, according to Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald.

“I wanted what was best for the team,” Ellsbury said, explaining his
reason for staying away. “I didn’t want to be a distraction to the team.
That’s the last thing I wanted. My teammates know that. The Red Sox
were in favor of it. They gave me their blessing. And when I was at API,
every single day, they’d get a report of exactly what I did. Every
detail was submitted to them, and I was in constant contact with my
teammates, (manager Terry Francona), my teammates, my
coaches.”

Welcome back? Geesh.

Granted, it’s not his knee, but is anybody else finding this eerily similar to the Carlos Beltran situation?

1. Ick McWang - Jul 10, 2010 at 3:04 PM

Rub a little tobacco juice on them ribs boy, you will be fine

2. Preston - Jul 10, 2010 at 3:22 PM

How long until Big Brother trades Ellsbury now?

3. hueymeaux - Jul 10, 2010 at 3:43 PM

wow! an injury was misdiagnosed and it’s taken ellsbury longer to rehab. BFD! like this is the first time that’s ever happened. i don’t believe in a million years that the sox want to play without ellsbury. if they are to trade someone it should be f’n beltre. that guy is a waste of space and he’s the reason the injury occurred at all. if anyone reading this has ever had fractured ribs you know that it’s hard to breathe much less drive a car. forget about physical exercise. get back healthy dude.

4. Ari Collins - Jul 10, 2010 at 4:03 PM

Totally agree with you, huey, about how this Ellsbury thing isn’t really a big deal, unless you listen to sports radio. Which you shouldn’t.
    But trade Beltre? Really? The guy with the good defense and the .926 OPS? Or, if you’re old skool: the guy hitting .338/13/55? That’s crazy talk, man. And I’m pretty sure it’s not his fault he keeps injuring guys, though. He must have some kind of outfielder magnet.

5. Md23Rewls - Jul 10, 2010 at 5:52 PM

I wouldn’t trade him, that would be silly, but you probably shouldn’t bank on those numbers keeping up. He is outperforming his career stats by a looooooong shot.

6. TBirdinFla - Jul 10, 2010 at 6:30 PM

Neither of them are worth a crap, they both will be out of the game in less then 5 yrs!

7. Glenn - Jul 10, 2010 at 8:10 PM

Just curious – how would broken ribs be treated differently if they had been diagnosed earlier? An MRI wasn’t going to change anything. The issue seems to be that the Red Sox front office leaked disparaging comments about Ellsbury’s fortitude for some reason and he feels the need to defend himself.

8. D.J. Short - Jul 10, 2010 at 9:10 PM

I’m a little iffy on that. It’s all hypothetical, anyway. But I’m speculating that he thinks he wouldn’t have suffered the lat strain if the injury was properly diagnosed.

9. Quixote's Whore - Jul 11, 2010 at 3:42 AM

Why did the Red Sox leak negativity on Ellsbury?

10. Old Gator - Jul 11, 2010 at 8:34 AM

Well, Aldonza, that’s usually how the Beanbags set a player up to be traded a little way down the road without incurring too much fan ire, classy organization that they are. But poor slighted Kevin Youklis, he of that face that could frighten a gorgon in a poorly lit hallway, apparently decided to play self-appointed blabbermouth and set this particular teapot tempest boiling. It wouldn’t surprise me if Girardi looked at this situation and said to himself, “not only does he look like a warthog with geldikop but he’s a jerk to boot. I think I’ll take Konerko instead.”

Bo Porter just first casualty around MLB