Jul 10, 2010, 10:47 AM EST
Jacoby Ellsbury re-joined the team in Toronto last night after spending the past five weeks in Arizona rehabbing his broken ribs. And according to what Kevin Youkilis told Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe, he and his teammates wonder why he hasn’t been with the team all along.
“I don’t know what’s going on with Jacoby,” he said. “I don’t think
any of us really know.”
Was it strange for Ellsbury to be away from the team that long?
“Don’t go down that road,” Youkilis said. “One thing I can say is
there’s a lot of guys here that are hurt and supporting the team. We
wish Jacoby was here supporting us, too.”
Plenty of players feel the same way. Youkilis is one of the few with
the courage to say it on the record.
That may be the case, but this will only give more credence to the notion that Ellsbury is a wuss. Kevin Youkilis isn’t a doctor — and neither am I, by the way — so I’m not sure whether his criticism is fair. Remember, Ellsbury already came back from the injury once and went back on the disabled list less than a week later.
I’ll concede that his absence is unique for a player without a season-ending injury and I’m certainly not privy to clubhouse chatter, but if Ellsbury went to Arizona with the organization’s blessing, we should probably give them the benefit of the doubt that he was receiving the best care possible down there.
Ellsbury didn’t arrive at Rogers Centre until the start of Friday’s game. I’m guessing there’s a pretty good chance he will be asked about this when he arrives at the ballpark today.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 148
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 33
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 36
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 83
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (148)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)