Kevin Youkilis spills the beans on Jacoby Ellsbury

Jul 10, 2010, 10:47 AM EDT

Jacoby Ellsbury re-joined the team in Toronto last night after spending the past five weeks in Arizona rehabbing his broken ribs. And according to what Kevin Youkilis told Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe, he and his teammates wonder why he hasn’t been with the team all along.

“I don’t know what’s going on with Jacoby,” he said. “I don’t think
any of us really know.”

Was it strange for Ellsbury to be away from the team that long?

“Don’t go down that road,” Youkilis said. “One thing I can say is
there’s a lot of guys here that are hurt and supporting the team. We
wish Jacoby was here supporting us, too.”

Plenty of players feel the same way. Youkilis is one of the few with
the courage to say it on the record.

That may be the case, but this will only give more credence to the notion that Ellsbury is a wuss. Kevin Youkilis isn’t a doctor — and neither am I, by the way — so I’m not sure whether his criticism is fair. Remember, Ellsbury already came back from the injury once and went back on the disabled list less than a week later.

I’ll concede that his absence is unique for a player without a season-ending injury and I’m certainly not privy to clubhouse chatter, but if Ellsbury went to Arizona with the organization’s blessing, we should probably give them the benefit of the doubt that he was receiving the best care possible down there.

Ellsbury didn’t arrive at Rogers Centre until the start of Friday’s game. I’m guessing there’s a pretty good chance he will be asked about this when he arrives at the ballpark today.

1. Joboo - Jul 10, 2010 at 11:26 AM

“Don’t go down that road … let me drag you.”

2. JBerardi - Jul 10, 2010 at 11:33 AM

“Plenty of players feel the same way. Youkilis is one of the few with the courage to say it on the record.”

Translation: “I went around the clubhouse asking every player how much Jacoby Ellsbury sucks for this article I already wrote about how much Jacoby Ellsbury sucks, and one guy sort of obliged me. Therefor, my article is correct and they all think Jacoby sucks.”

3. Brad19 - Jul 10, 2010 at 2:39 PM

Remember, there’s 3 sides to every story… I think this is one of those instances in which everyone should just shut up and play ball. Squabbling amongst teammates shouldn’t be aired out in the media.

4. Proudly Canadian - Jul 10, 2010 at 6:04 PM

Youk is a wus and a despicable cheater. Today he pretended to be hit by a pitch and cried enough that the umps finally believed him. Replays showed that the pitch missed him. I have no respect for a cheat such as Youk. He is no leader. Youk is a scumbag.

5. Md23Rewls - Jul 10, 2010 at 6:18 PM

Why is Youkilis allowed to speak?

6. Mark B - Jul 10, 2010 at 7:25 PM

because Youlilis is the best player on the Red Sox, and LIGHT YEARS beyond Ellsbury.
    Also because being away for 5 weeks, then not showing up when you DO return, is a spoiled, pampered, narcisstic BABY.

7. Boo Hoo Florio picked on your team - GET OVER IT - Jul 10, 2010 at 7:30 PM

What a classy organization. Where’s the front office or coaches to step in and muzzle these yokels?

8. Boo Hoo Florio picked on your team - GET OVER IT - Jul 10, 2010 at 7:46 PM

The same guy who pretended to get hurt “kicking up dirt” and the same guy who pretended to get hit by a baseball today despite camera replays showing it clearly missed him?
    HMM.

9. Mark B - Jul 10, 2010 at 8:01 PM

Muzzle the players who give 100% for the team, and when hurt at least STAY with your teammates? And even if not at the very least, the day they’d be due back they would PROBABLY show up (to watch warm-up, be with their teammates, and show “TEAM” support) just a WEE-BIT BEFORE game time.
    Geez, the front office muzzle the “yokels” who give a bit more than 10%? GET REAL MAN….

10. Boo Hoo Florio picked on your team - GET OVER IT - Jul 10, 2010 at 9:38 PM

Get real? You’re the one who’d rather let the inmates run the asylum. Boston has shown an amazing lack of tact over the past few years and would be served well to handle these things far better internally. But I guess the third place team really knows what they’re doing!

11. Proudly Canadian - Jul 10, 2010 at 10:00 PM

Get over it Mark! Youk is a cheater on the field. His character is highly suspect.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5011)