Jul 10, 2010, 6:22 PM EDT
UPDATE: Joe Christensen confirms that Justin Morneau will miss the All-Star Game. He was recommended to rest after meeting with head and concussion specialist Dr. Kenneth Podell on Saturday. Morneau will be re-evaluated in Minnesota during the break.
3:05 PM: Justin Morneau is out of the starting lineup for a third straight day Saturday due to a concussion, according to Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star Tribune.
Christensen just tweeted that Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said it is “unlikely” that Morneau will play at all this weekend. In turn, Morneau said that if he can’t play this weekend, he won’t participate in the All-Star Game. Pretty easy to read the tea leaves there.
It’s not like the National League gains some sort of advantage if Morneau is unable to play. They’ll just have to face Miguel Cabrera, instead. Some drop-off.
As Aaron mentioned on Friday, “Final Vote” runner-up Kevin Youkilis would make the most sense to replace Morneau on the AL roster. Yankees manager Joe Girardi will ultimately make that call, if it comes to it, according to Kelly Thesier of MLB.com.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 1
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 3
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 5
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 47
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)