Jul 10, 2010, 6:22 PM EDT
UPDATE: Joe Christensen confirms that Justin Morneau will miss the All-Star Game. He was recommended to rest after meeting with head and concussion specialist Dr. Kenneth Podell on Saturday. Morneau will be re-evaluated in Minnesota during the break.
3:05 PM: Justin Morneau is out of the starting lineup for a third straight day Saturday due to a concussion, according to Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star Tribune.
Christensen just tweeted that Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said it is “unlikely” that Morneau will play at all this weekend. In turn, Morneau said that if he can’t play this weekend, he won’t participate in the All-Star Game. Pretty easy to read the tea leaves there.
It’s not like the National League gains some sort of advantage if Morneau is unable to play. They’ll just have to face Miguel Cabrera, instead. Some drop-off.
As Aaron mentioned on Friday, “Final Vote” runner-up Kevin Youkilis would make the most sense to replace Morneau on the AL roster. Yankees manager Joe Girardi will ultimately make that call, if it comes to it, according to Kelly Thesier of MLB.com.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 24
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 205
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (206)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)