Jul 10, 2010, 4:26 PM EDT
As expected, the Orioles have sent third baseman Josh Bell back to Triple-A Norfolk in order to make room for Saturday’s starter Chris Tillman.
As if facing the Rangers offense isn’t intimidating enough, Tillman will oppose the newly-acquired Cliff Lee, who is making debut with the club.
Tillman is 0-3 with an 8.40 ERA over four starts with the O’s this season. While he hasn’t found much success in the majors yet, the 22-year-old right-hander is 8-4 with a 2.72 ERA in 13 starts with the Tides this season. He’s coming off a complete-game one-hit shutout on Monday.
As for Bell, he didn’t play a whole lot since he was called up from the minors on July 1. He was 3-for-15 (.200) during his brief stay with the team. While he’s better off getting regular at-bats in the minor leagues, the 23-year-old told Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun that he saw his first taste of the majors as a learning opportunity.
“It is a good situation for me, regardless,” Bell said. “Because if I am
not playing, then I am watching and learning. And if I am playing,
well, that’s a great experience.”
Bell, who was acquired from the Dodgers in last July’s George Sherrill trade, was batting .266/.311/.455 with 10 homers and 44 RBI before getting the call from Triple-A Norfolk. He was ranked as the organization’s No. 2 prospect (and top position prospect) by Baseball America over the winter. Don’t be surprised if he is up for good later this season.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)