Jul 11, 2010, 4:05 PM EDT
According to the Boston’s Globe’s Peter Abraham, Red Sox third baseman Adrian Beltre left Sunday’s game against the Blue Jays with what is currently being called a “left hamstring strain.”
No matter Sunday’s result, the Red Sox will limp into the All-Star break ranked third in the American League East behind the Rays and Yankees. They’ve had a nice string of success recently, but it is incredible how many times the Sawx have been hit with major injuries this season. Credit goes to the front office, and guys like Daniel Nava and Darnell McDonald, for the fact that Boston can still claim playoff hopes.
Victor Martinez is on the disabled list with a fracture in his left thumb, Dustin Pedroia is out another few weeks with a broken foot, Josh Beckett is still rehabbing a back injury and Clay Buchholz has missed the last three weeks with a hamstring strain. In fact, 10 of the players on Boston’s 40-man roster are currently on the disabled list, including veteran catcher Jason Varitek and outfielders Jacoby Ellsbury and Jeremy Hermida. It has all been a bit tiring to cover, honestly.
If Beltre is unable to return immediately after the All-Star break, the club may need to trade for infield help or dig deeper into the farm system. Bill Hall slid over to third base when Beltre departed on Sunday and may need to start there when the 2010 baseball season resumes next week.
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 4
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 52
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)