Jul 11, 2010, 4:05 PM EDT
According to the Boston’s Globe’s Peter Abraham, Red Sox third baseman Adrian Beltre left Sunday’s game against the Blue Jays with what is currently being called a “left hamstring strain.”
No matter Sunday’s result, the Red Sox will limp into the All-Star break ranked third in the American League East behind the Rays and Yankees. They’ve had a nice string of success recently, but it is incredible how many times the Sawx have been hit with major injuries this season. Credit goes to the front office, and guys like Daniel Nava and Darnell McDonald, for the fact that Boston can still claim playoff hopes.
Victor Martinez is on the disabled list with a fracture in his left thumb, Dustin Pedroia is out another few weeks with a broken foot, Josh Beckett is still rehabbing a back injury and Clay Buchholz has missed the last three weeks with a hamstring strain. In fact, 10 of the players on Boston’s 40-man roster are currently on the disabled list, including veteran catcher Jason Varitek and outfielders Jacoby Ellsbury and Jeremy Hermida. It has all been a bit tiring to cover, honestly.
If Beltre is unable to return immediately after the All-Star break, the club may need to trade for infield help or dig deeper into the farm system. Bill Hall slid over to third base when Beltre departed on Sunday and may need to start there when the 2010 baseball season resumes next week.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 45
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 22
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 45
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals “looking for offense” … not Jake Peavy 33
- 2014 Home Run Derby participants … 28
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (155)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)