Jul 11, 2010, 4:05 PM EDT
According to the Boston’s Globe’s Peter Abraham, Red Sox third baseman Adrian Beltre left Sunday’s game against the Blue Jays with what is currently being called a “left hamstring strain.”
No matter Sunday’s result, the Red Sox will limp into the All-Star break ranked third in the American League East behind the Rays and Yankees. They’ve had a nice string of success recently, but it is incredible how many times the Sawx have been hit with major injuries this season. Credit goes to the front office, and guys like Daniel Nava and Darnell McDonald, for the fact that Boston can still claim playoff hopes.
Victor Martinez is on the disabled list with a fracture in his left thumb, Dustin Pedroia is out another few weeks with a broken foot, Josh Beckett is still rehabbing a back injury and Clay Buchholz has missed the last three weeks with a hamstring strain. In fact, 10 of the players on Boston’s 40-man roster are currently on the disabled list, including veteran catcher Jason Varitek and outfielders Jacoby Ellsbury and Jeremy Hermida. It has all been a bit tiring to cover, honestly.
If Beltre is unable to return immediately after the All-Star break, the club may need to trade for infield help or dig deeper into the farm system. Bill Hall slid over to third base when Beltre departed on Sunday and may need to start there when the 2010 baseball season resumes next week.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 54
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 66
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 80
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)