Jul 11, 2010, 8:46 PM EST
ANAHEIM, Calif. — I heard they were going to be serving hot dogs wrapped in bacon at the All-Star game in Anaheim, so naturally I had to go.
In addition to the bacon-wrapped goodness, they’ll have a sampling of foods from other MLB ballparks, including Crab Dogs from Baltimore, Blake Street Burritos from Denver (no Rocky Mountain oysters?), and pulled pork BBQ nachos from Houston.
But I’m not just here for the food, but to take in the sites and pass them on to you, the faithful HBT reader. First things first, the weather is gorgeous in Anaheim. The clouds/smog burned off around noon, leaving sunny weather in the low 70s with the hint of a breeze.
Taking in the Futures Game now, with much of the buzz surrounding Angels prospect (naturally) Mike Trout, an 18-year-old playing in the Class-A Midwest League. Another Angels minor leaguer, AAA catcher Hank Conger, blasted a 3-run homer in what has become a U.S, rout.
Random things seen/heard:
- The Rangers sold 14,000 walk-up tickets for Cliff Lee’s debut on Saturday night. And even though they gave up a lot in the trade with the Mariners, the word is that they didn’t mind because their system is so deep. Also, I’m guessing they smell blood in the water with the Angels struggling.
- Erin Andrews is more attractive in person. So is Peter Gammons.
- The last All-Star game in Anaheim was in 1989, when Bo Jackson stole the show with a mammoth home run and ended up being named the game’s MVP.
But did you know that the only other All-Star game in Anaheim was in 1967, a 2-1 victory for the NL that lasted 15 innings. Catfish Hunter pitched 5(!) innings in relief and took the loss. Wonder what Bruce Bochy would do to Charlie Manuel is Manuel pitched Tim Lincecum five innings on Tuesday. Things have changed a bit, I guess.
- More on Bo Jackson: He’s playing in the Legends and Celebrity Softball Game tonight, which will also include Mike Piazza, Rickey Henderson and Dave Winfield, among others. The list of celebrities includes MC Hammer, Michael Clarke Duncan, and an actor named Marcus Giamatti, who is the son of Bart, and brother of Paul. Maybe Marisa Miller can save the show.
- There are now approximately 80 players on the All-Star rosters due to injuries and withdrawals. Thank goodness this isn’t T-ball where everyone has to get a turn to bat.
- Don’t forget to check out the big home run derby contest here, where you can win the right to be a big-time sports blogger for one whole post. It’s glamorous, trust us.
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 18
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 29
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 90
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (91)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)