Jul 11, 2010, 12:03 PM EDT
Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star reports that Royals right-hander Zack Greinke has been scratched from this afternoon’s start against the White Sox with discomfort in his throwing shoulder. Anthony Lerew will start in his place.
Greinke told Dutton that the scratching was precautionary. He is hoping that the extra rest he will get during the All-Star break will allow him to avoid a stint on the disabled list.
The 26-year-old is 5-8 this year with a relatively pedestrian 3.71 ERA, but he also owns an impressive 1.16 WHIP and a 101/22 K/BB ratio through 119 innings. The Royals are 39-48, 10 games behind the Twins in the American League Central.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)