Jul 11, 2010, 12:03 PM EST
Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star reports that Royals right-hander Zack Greinke has been scratched from this afternoon’s start against the White Sox with discomfort in his throwing shoulder. Anthony Lerew will start in his place.
Greinke told Dutton that the scratching was precautionary. He is hoping that the extra rest he will get during the All-Star break will allow him to avoid a stint on the disabled list.
The 26-year-old is 5-8 this year with a relatively pedestrian 3.71 ERA, but he also owns an impressive 1.16 WHIP and a 101/22 K/BB ratio through 119 innings. The Royals are 39-48, 10 games behind the Twins in the American League Central.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)