Jul 11, 2010, 12:03 PM EDT
Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star reports that Royals right-hander Zack Greinke has been scratched from this afternoon’s start against the White Sox with discomfort in his throwing shoulder. Anthony Lerew will start in his place.
Greinke told Dutton that the scratching was precautionary. He is hoping that the extra rest he will get during the All-Star break will allow him to avoid a stint on the disabled list.
The 26-year-old is 5-8 this year with a relatively pedestrian 3.71 ERA, but he also owns an impressive 1.16 WHIP and a 101/22 K/BB ratio through 119 innings. The Royals are 39-48, 10 games behind the Twins in the American League Central.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)