Jul 11, 2010, 12:03 PM EDT
Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star reports that Royals right-hander Zack Greinke has been scratched from this afternoon’s start against the White Sox with discomfort in his throwing shoulder. Anthony Lerew will start in his place.
Greinke told Dutton that the scratching was precautionary. He is hoping that the extra rest he will get during the All-Star break will allow him to avoid a stint on the disabled list.
The 26-year-old is 5-8 this year with a relatively pedestrian 3.71 ERA, but he also owns an impressive 1.16 WHIP and a 101/22 K/BB ratio through 119 innings. The Royals are 39-48, 10 games behind the Twins in the American League Central.
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 0
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 29
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 49
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)