Jul 11, 2010, 12:03 PM EST
Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star reports that Royals right-hander Zack Greinke has been scratched from this afternoon’s start against the White Sox with discomfort in his throwing shoulder. Anthony Lerew will start in his place.
Greinke told Dutton that the scratching was precautionary. He is hoping that the extra rest he will get during the All-Star break will allow him to avoid a stint on the disabled list.
The 26-year-old is 5-8 this year with a relatively pedestrian 3.71 ERA, but he also owns an impressive 1.16 WHIP and a 101/22 K/BB ratio through 119 innings. The Royals are 39-48, 10 games behind the Twins in the American League Central.
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 11
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 62
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 74
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 60
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)