Jul 11, 2010, 12:15 PM EST
Astros director of social media Alyson Footer reports that the club has dismissed Sean Berry as hitting coach and named Jeff Bagwell as his replacement.
Bagwell, 42, played all of his 15 major league seasons for the Astros and retired in 2005 with a .297/.408/.540 batting line, 2,314 hits and 449 home runs. He will try to right the ship on what has been a dreadful season at the plate for the Astros.
Houston ranks 28th in the league in runs scored, 29th in batting average, 27th in home runs and dead last in OPS. Bagwell won’t start the gig until after the All-Star break, so there will be no Mark McGwire-Bagwell hitting coach face-off today in Houston. But that’ll come later this season. Dingers!
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)