Jul 11, 2010, 8:40 AM EDT
Nationals catcher Jesus Flores has not appeared in a major league game since September of last season due to ongoing trouble with his right shoulder. And, from the looks of things, that isn’t likely to change anytime soon.
According to Ben Goessling of MASN, the 25-year-old catcher is again reporting problems with his surgically-repaired shoulder and has been shut down temporarily. He will be reevaluated after the All-Star break, but it’s not known when he might resume baseball-related activities.
Goessling suggests that the Nationals may never see Flores in a major league uniform again. He is arbitration-eligible after this season and this latest setback means trouble for his chances of returning to action this year.
Flores hit .301/.371/.505 over 93 at-bats in 2009 with four home runs, three doubles, two triples and 15 RBI. Perhaps the promise of working with young phenom Stephen Strasburg will make him want to remain in Washington and demand very little through the arbitration process. But, as a young and valuable catcher, he might look to cash in.
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 4
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 15
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 49
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)