Jul 11, 2010, 8:40 AM EST
Nationals catcher Jesus Flores has not appeared in a major league game since September of last season due to ongoing trouble with his right shoulder. And, from the looks of things, that isn’t likely to change anytime soon.
According to Ben Goessling of MASN, the 25-year-old catcher is again reporting problems with his surgically-repaired shoulder and has been shut down temporarily. He will be reevaluated after the All-Star break, but it’s not known when he might resume baseball-related activities.
Goessling suggests that the Nationals may never see Flores in a major league uniform again. He is arbitration-eligible after this season and this latest setback means trouble for his chances of returning to action this year.
Flores hit .301/.371/.505 over 93 at-bats in 2009 with four home runs, three doubles, two triples and 15 RBI. Perhaps the promise of working with young phenom Stephen Strasburg will make him want to remain in Washington and demand very little through the arbitration process. But, as a young and valuable catcher, he might look to cash in.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 6
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 295
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)