Jul 11, 2010, 5:58 PM EST
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Orioles are negotiating with Buck Showalter for their vacancy at manager and appear to be close to a deal.
The O’s cut ties with Dave Trembley in early June after he led the club to a 15-39 start. Juan Samuel was named as interim manager and has done a fine job, going 13-20 with little firepower in baseball’s toughest division.
Former Indians manager Eric Wedge was also interviewed for the opening and apparently impressed some of the Orioles’ higher-ups, but Showalter, a current analyst on ESPN’s Baseball Tonight, must have impressed them more. Showalter has managed the Yankees, Diamondbacks and Rangers for parts of 11 seasons and has a 1716-882 lifetime record.
Rosenthal says Showalter could take over for Samuel by Thursday, when the All-Star break concludes.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 7
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 276
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (276)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)