Jul 12, 2010, 2:47 PM EDT
Charlie Manuel overlooked a 150-point difference in OPS to pick Ryan Howard over Joey Votto for the All-Star team, so even after Votto was added to the NL squad via MLB.com’s “Final Vote” contest it’s no surprise that the Phillies’ manager went with Howard at designated hitter. Or that he’s batting cleanup.
Here are the full NL and AL lineups:
American League National League 1. Ichiro Suzuki, RF 1. Hanley Ramirez, SS 2. Derek Jeter, SS 2. Martin Prado, 2B 3. Miguel Cabrera, 1B 3. Albert Pujols, 1B 4. Josh Hamilton, CF 4. Ryan Howard, DH 5. Vladimir Guerrero, DH 5. David Wright, 3B 6. Evan Longoria, 3B 6. Ryan Braun, LF 7. Joe Mauer, C 7. Andre Ethier, CF 8. Robinson Cano, 2B 8. Corey Hart, RF 9. Carl Crawford, LF 9. Yadier Molina, C
Miguel Cabrera replaced Justin Morneau in the AL lineup, while Martin Prado and Corey Hart replaced Chase Utley and Jason Heyward in the NL lineup.
All-Star outfields are often oddly arranged because there’s no “center fielder” spot on the ballot, but Manuel choosing Andre Ethier to start in center field is especially odd considering he has zero experience there as a major leaguer and Corey Hart has played 51 career games there.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 39
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 11
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 29
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 34
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 349
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (349)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (183)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)