Jul 12, 2010, 2:47 PM EDT
Charlie Manuel overlooked a 150-point difference in OPS to pick Ryan Howard over Joey Votto for the All-Star team, so even after Votto was added to the NL squad via MLB.com’s “Final Vote” contest it’s no surprise that the Phillies’ manager went with Howard at designated hitter. Or that he’s batting cleanup.
Here are the full NL and AL lineups:
American League National League 1. Ichiro Suzuki, RF 1. Hanley Ramirez, SS 2. Derek Jeter, SS 2. Martin Prado, 2B 3. Miguel Cabrera, 1B 3. Albert Pujols, 1B 4. Josh Hamilton, CF 4. Ryan Howard, DH 5. Vladimir Guerrero, DH 5. David Wright, 3B 6. Evan Longoria, 3B 6. Ryan Braun, LF 7. Joe Mauer, C 7. Andre Ethier, CF 8. Robinson Cano, 2B 8. Corey Hart, RF 9. Carl Crawford, LF 9. Yadier Molina, C
Miguel Cabrera replaced Justin Morneau in the AL lineup, while Martin Prado and Corey Hart replaced Chase Utley and Jason Heyward in the NL lineup.
All-Star outfields are often oddly arranged because there's no "center fielder" spot on the ballot, but Manuel choosing Andre Ethier to start in center field is especially odd considering he has zero experience there as a major leaguer and Corey Hart has played 51 career games there.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 105
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8