Jul 12, 2010, 2:47 PM EDT
Charlie Manuel overlooked a 150-point difference in OPS to pick Ryan Howard over Joey Votto for the All-Star team, so even after Votto was added to the NL squad via MLB.com’s “Final Vote” contest it’s no surprise that the Phillies’ manager went with Howard at designated hitter. Or that he’s batting cleanup.
Here are the full NL and AL lineups:
American League National League 1. Ichiro Suzuki, RF 1. Hanley Ramirez, SS 2. Derek Jeter, SS 2. Martin Prado, 2B 3. Miguel Cabrera, 1B 3. Albert Pujols, 1B 4. Josh Hamilton, CF 4. Ryan Howard, DH 5. Vladimir Guerrero, DH 5. David Wright, 3B 6. Evan Longoria, 3B 6. Ryan Braun, LF 7. Joe Mauer, C 7. Andre Ethier, CF 8. Robinson Cano, 2B 8. Corey Hart, RF 9. Carl Crawford, LF 9. Yadier Molina, C
Miguel Cabrera replaced Justin Morneau in the AL lineup, while Martin Prado and Corey Hart replaced Chase Utley and Jason Heyward in the NL lineup.
All-Star outfields are often oddly arranged because there’s no “center fielder” spot on the ballot, but Manuel choosing Andre Ethier to start in center field is especially odd considering he has zero experience there as a major leaguer and Corey Hart has played 51 career games there.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 39
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 53
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 44
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 64
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)