At least one person thinks there's no way Prince Fielder re-signs with the Brewers

Jul 12, 2010, 5:45 PM EDT

When Boras starts citing "rare commodities," hold on to your wallet.

Tom Haudricourt just tweeted something pretty eye-opening:

Just had long talk with agent Scott Boras about
Prince Fielder. I’ve never been more convinced that Brewers have 0%
chance of keeping him . . . When Boras starts talking about “rare
commodities,” teams such as the Brewers have no chance of retaining the
player without breaking bank.

It’s probably way too early to seriously handicap Prince Fielder’s free agency scenarios, but given how much money the Phillies gave to Ryan Howard — a guy who, however nice his past has been, doesn’t have as promising a future as Fielder does — I agree that the odds don’t favor the Brewers doing what Boras and Fielder think is necessary to keep him.

1. bbeer - Jul 12, 2010 at 6:08 PM

well….shit. i say trade him for matt cain and some extras in this case…as a brew crew fan i hate seeing him go but i knew he was as soon as boras opens his mouth

2. bofarr - Jul 12, 2010 at 6:25 PM

He needs to go to the AL so he can sit on his fat Boros stuffed wallet between AB’s in the dugout where it’s nice and comfy.

3. scatterbrian - Jul 12, 2010 at 6:43 PM

A rare commodity that doesn’t figure to age very well. This is probably a blessing in disguise for Milwaukee.

4. Xpensive Wino - Jul 12, 2010 at 6:54 PM

Red Sox.
    Beltre is gone after this year and Youkilis moves back to third.

5. beezo - Jul 12, 2010 at 6:56 PM

I’d have to imagine if he is getting traded, the team he goes to is going to want to lock him up too. I think that rules out the giants and other smaller market teams, but maybe somebody will give the brewers what they want for a rental.

6. bbeer - Jul 12, 2010 at 7:13 PM

I dont think the giants are necessarily out of it for locking him up. They have a team right now that will contend for years to come with lincecum pitching and buster is going to be a star for years to come so i dont see why not

7. Al - Jul 12, 2010 at 7:29 PM

Who’s actually going to give this guy a rich, long-term deal? I know the Red Sox are a good fit in terms of need, but I think they’re too smart to throw a whole lot of money at him. I see him landing with like, the Orioles or something.

8. Schlom - Jul 12, 2010 at 8:03 PM

I would think that it’s in his best interests to get traded and sign an extension early as Pujols and Gonzalez are both set to be free agents after 2011 and I think that Fielder is 3rd in line of those guys.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet