Jul 12, 2010, 11:44 AM EDT
Bob Elliott of the Toronto Sun reports that the Blue Jays have made Kevin Gregg “available” for a possible trade, which is noteworthy mostly because he ranks fourth in the league with 20 saves.
However, if you look beyond the closer label Gregg is basically just a run-of-the-mill middle reliever and it seems unlikely that any contending team would acquire him to pitch the ninth inning anyway.
Gregg has a 3.67 ERA in 34.1 innings this season after posting a 4.72 ERA in 68.2 innings for the Cubs last year, and he’s 19-28 with a 4.00 ERA in 468 career innings as a reliever. Gregg throws hard and racks up plenty of strikeouts, but his control is spotty and he has a tendency to serve up homers in key spots, averaging one long ball per 10 innings.
Plus, he drew such little interest as a free agent this offseason that the Blue Jays were able to sign him to a one-year, $2.75 million contract and nothing has really changed since then. If the Blue Jays can get a mid-level prospect for him, they’d be smart to unload Gregg and be thankful not everyone has stopped overvaluing saves.
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 0
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 9
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 139
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 101
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (139)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)