Jul 12, 2010, 11:44 AM EDT
Bob Elliott of the Toronto Sun reports that the Blue Jays have made Kevin Gregg “available” for a possible trade, which is noteworthy mostly because he ranks fourth in the league with 20 saves.
However, if you look beyond the closer label Gregg is basically just a run-of-the-mill middle reliever and it seems unlikely that any contending team would acquire him to pitch the ninth inning anyway.
Gregg has a 3.67 ERA in 34.1 innings this season after posting a 4.72 ERA in 68.2 innings for the Cubs last year, and he’s 19-28 with a 4.00 ERA in 468 career innings as a reliever. Gregg throws hard and racks up plenty of strikeouts, but his control is spotty and he has a tendency to serve up homers in key spots, averaging one long ball per 10 innings.
Plus, he drew such little interest as a free agent this offseason that the Blue Jays were able to sign him to a one-year, $2.75 million contract and nothing has really changed since then. If the Blue Jays can get a mid-level prospect for him, they’d be smart to unload Gregg and be thankful not everyone has stopped overvaluing saves.
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 22
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 18
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)