Jul 12, 2010, 1:15 PM EST
As expected, David Price of the Rays and Ubaldo Jimenez of the Rockies were officially named the All-Star starters in a press conference this afternoon.
Price was a relatively easy pick for the AL, as he leads the league in both ERA (2.42) and wins (12) while ranking second in Quality Starts.
Jimenez’s recent struggles pushed his ERA from 1.15 to 2.20 in the past five starts and I would have given the nod to Josh Johnson and his league-leading 1.70 ERA, but between Jimenez’s early season dominance and shiny 15-1 record the Rockies’ ace was never in doubt as the actual pick.
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 45
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 78
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 133
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 22
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 35
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (133)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)