Jul 12, 2010, 1:15 PM EDT
As expected, David Price of the Rays and Ubaldo Jimenez of the Rockies were officially named the All-Star starters in a press conference this afternoon.
Price was a relatively easy pick for the AL, as he leads the league in both ERA (2.42) and wins (12) while ranking second in Quality Starts.
Jimenez’s recent struggles pushed his ERA from 1.15 to 2.20 in the past five starts and I would have given the nod to Josh Johnson and his league-leading 1.70 ERA, but between Jimenez’s early season dominance and shiny 15-1 record the Rockies’ ace was never in doubt as the actual pick.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (115)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)