Jul 12, 2010, 2:28 PM EDT
When they’re not bothering me for fashion and grooming advice, GQ writes articles about sports and culture and other things. Today they have — in annoying slideshow form, but still worth reading — a breakdown of what they feel are the five best and five worst local broadcasting teams in baseball.
You be surprised that Vin Scully is number one. You probably won’t be surprised that Hawk Harrelson drags Steve Stone down with him to the bottom. Having MLB.tv on high-usage this year I’ve gotten to hear all of these guys at some point or another, and I generally agree with the groupings, even if I disagree with some of the exact ranks. There’s obviously some subjectivity to it all.
The only thing I take issue with is the Thom Brennaman and Jeff Brantley entry. Not the ranking itself — I agree that they’re probably bottom five — but the rationale, which is Jeff Brantley’s tangents on his eating habits. Look, I watch and listen to more Reds games than I should, and I gotta tell ya: the only thing that makes Brantley and Brennaman remotely bearable is when Brantley is talking about how many barbecue ribs or scoops of ice cream he ate the night before.
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 8
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 45
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 26
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 6
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 10
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 33
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)