Jul 12, 2010, 2:28 PM EST
When they’re not bothering me for fashion and grooming advice, GQ writes articles about sports and culture and other things. Today they have — in annoying slideshow form, but still worth reading — a breakdown of what they feel are the five best and five worst local broadcasting teams in baseball.
You be surprised that Vin Scully is number one. You probably won’t be surprised that Hawk Harrelson drags Steve Stone down with him to the bottom. Having MLB.tv on high-usage this year I’ve gotten to hear all of these guys at some point or another, and I generally agree with the groupings, even if I disagree with some of the exact ranks. There’s obviously some subjectivity to it all.
The only thing I take issue with is the Thom Brennaman and Jeff Brantley entry. Not the ranking itself — I agree that they’re probably bottom five — but the rationale, which is Jeff Brantley’s tangents on his eating habits. Look, I watch and listen to more Reds games than I should, and I gotta tell ya: the only thing that makes Brantley and Brennaman remotely bearable is when Brantley is talking about how many barbecue ribs or scoops of ice cream he ate the night before.
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 67
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 25
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 66
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 256
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (257)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano signing only bad if the Mariners stop now (93)