Jul 12, 2010, 2:28 PM EDT
When they’re not bothering me for fashion and grooming advice, GQ writes articles about sports and culture and other things. Today they have — in annoying slideshow form, but still worth reading — a breakdown of what they feel are the five best and five worst local broadcasting teams in baseball.
You be surprised that Vin Scully is number one. You probably won’t be surprised that Hawk Harrelson drags Steve Stone down with him to the bottom. Having MLB.tv on high-usage this year I’ve gotten to hear all of these guys at some point or another, and I generally agree with the groupings, even if I disagree with some of the exact ranks. There’s obviously some subjectivity to it all.
The only thing I take issue with is the Thom Brennaman and Jeff Brantley entry. Not the ranking itself — I agree that they’re probably bottom five — but the rationale, which is Jeff Brantley’s tangents on his eating habits. Look, I watch and listen to more Reds games than I should, and I gotta tell ya: the only thing that makes Brantley and Brennaman remotely bearable is when Brantley is talking about how many barbecue ribs or scoops of ice cream he ate the night before.
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 14
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 12
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 29
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 61
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (144)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (94)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)