Jul 12, 2010, 2:28 PM EDT
When they’re not bothering me for fashion and grooming advice, GQ writes articles about sports and culture and other things. Today they have — in annoying slideshow form, but still worth reading — a breakdown of what they feel are the five best and five worst local broadcasting teams in baseball.
You be surprised that Vin Scully is number one. You probably won’t be surprised that Hawk Harrelson drags Steve Stone down with him to the bottom. Having MLB.tv on high-usage this year I’ve gotten to hear all of these guys at some point or another, and I generally agree with the groupings, even if I disagree with some of the exact ranks. There’s obviously some subjectivity to it all.
The only thing I take issue with is the Thom Brennaman and Jeff Brantley entry. Not the ranking itself — I agree that they’re probably bottom five — but the rationale, which is Jeff Brantley’s tangents on his eating habits. Look, I watch and listen to more Reds games than I should, and I gotta tell ya: the only thing that makes Brantley and Brennaman remotely bearable is when Brantley is talking about how many barbecue ribs or scoops of ice cream he ate the night before.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (108)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)