Jul 12, 2010, 8:45 AM EDT
Ever notice that team owners never feel a need to give good GMs votes of confidence?
The Cubs have the top payroll in the National League but headed into the
last game of the first half of the season on Sunday 9 1/2 games back in
the Central. Ricketts, who arrived Sunday and planned on attending
Tuesday’s All-Star Game in Anaheim, said he “had the highest level of
confidence” in general manager Jim Hendry.
“The fact is right now, Jim is our general manager, I support him, I
think he does a great job, and after that we’ll just take it one day at a
time,” Ricketts said.
The “highest level of confidence” stuff sounds pretty encouraging, but the “right now Jim is our general manager” part is a bit more declarative than it is inspirational. Give Ricketts time, though. He’s still new at this ownership thing. This time next year we’ll be 100% sure if he’s being honest with this kind of stuff or if his votes of confidence are of the dreaded variety.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (138)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)