Jul 12, 2010, 8:45 AM EDT
Ever notice that team owners never feel a need to give good GMs votes of confidence?
The Cubs have the top payroll in the National League but headed into the
last game of the first half of the season on Sunday 9 1/2 games back in
the Central. Ricketts, who arrived Sunday and planned on attending
Tuesday’s All-Star Game in Anaheim, said he “had the highest level of
confidence” in general manager Jim Hendry.
“The fact is right now, Jim is our general manager, I support him, I
think he does a great job, and after that we’ll just take it one day at a
time,” Ricketts said.
The “highest level of confidence” stuff sounds pretty encouraging, but the “right now Jim is our general manager” part is a bit more declarative than it is inspirational. Give Ricketts time, though. He’s still new at this ownership thing. This time next year we’ll be 100% sure if he’s being honest with this kind of stuff or if his votes of confidence are of the dreaded variety.
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 16
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 9
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 26
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 23
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)