Jul 12, 2010, 8:45 AM EST
Ever notice that team owners never feel a need to give good GMs votes of confidence?
The Cubs have the top payroll in the National League but headed into the
last game of the first half of the season on Sunday 9 1/2 games back in
the Central. Ricketts, who arrived Sunday and planned on attending
Tuesday’s All-Star Game in Anaheim, said he “had the highest level of
confidence” in general manager Jim Hendry.
“The fact is right now, Jim is our general manager, I support him, I
think he does a great job, and after that we’ll just take it one day at a
time,” Ricketts said.
The “highest level of confidence” stuff sounds pretty encouraging, but the “right now Jim is our general manager” part is a bit more declarative than it is inspirational. Give Ricketts time, though. He’s still new at this ownership thing. This time next year we’ll be 100% sure if he’s being honest with this kind of stuff or if his votes of confidence are of the dreaded variety.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)