Jul 12, 2010, 3:48 PM EDT
During his press conference this afternoon All-Star manager Joe Girardi announced that Michael Young was picked to replace the injured Adrian Beltre on the AL roster, which was fine except … well, apparently no one told Beltre.
Girardi was under the impression that Beltre was unavailable after injuring his hamstring yesterday, but the Red Sox’s third baseman is still hoping to play in tomorrow’s game. Which means Young is in limbo and, for now at least, “only” 82 players can say they’re All-Stars.
I’ll let MLB spokesperson Phyllis Merhige explain:
Clearly it was a communication misunderstanding. Michael Young is the next guy on the player voting, so if Adrian Beltre can’t play it’s Michael Young. But Adrian had said all along he was going to make a decision about how he felt. I don’t know where Joe got it from. Maybe I miscommunicated it.
Last year Chone Figgins was added to the AL roster very late, arriving at the ballpark just hours before the game, so keeping Young on call is nothing new. It does seem kind of weird that when people look back at his career whether Young is a six-time All-Star or a seven-time All-Star is dependent upon how Beltre’s hamstring feels in the next few hours.
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 20
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 10
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 24
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 64
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 25
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)