Jul 12, 2010, 3:48 PM EDT
During his press conference this afternoon All-Star manager Joe Girardi announced that Michael Young was picked to replace the injured Adrian Beltre on the AL roster, which was fine except … well, apparently no one told Beltre.
Girardi was under the impression that Beltre was unavailable after injuring his hamstring yesterday, but the Red Sox’s third baseman is still hoping to play in tomorrow’s game. Which means Young is in limbo and, for now at least, “only” 82 players can say they’re All-Stars.
I’ll let MLB spokesperson Phyllis Merhige explain:
Clearly it was a communication misunderstanding. Michael Young is the next guy on the player voting, so if Adrian Beltre can’t play it’s Michael Young. But Adrian had said all along he was going to make a decision about how he felt. I don’t know where Joe got it from. Maybe I miscommunicated it.
Last year Chone Figgins was added to the AL roster very late, arriving at the ballpark just hours before the game, so keeping Young on call is nothing new. It does seem kind of weird that when people look back at his career whether Young is a six-time All-Star or a seven-time All-Star is dependent upon how Beltre’s hamstring feels in the next few hours.
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 9
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 1
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 45
- Twins prospect Byron Buxton done for season after concussion 3
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. 74
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)