Jul 12, 2010, 3:48 PM EST
During his press conference this afternoon All-Star manager Joe Girardi announced that Michael Young was picked to replace the injured Adrian Beltre on the AL roster, which was fine except … well, apparently no one told Beltre.
Girardi was under the impression that Beltre was unavailable after injuring his hamstring yesterday, but the Red Sox’s third baseman is still hoping to play in tomorrow’s game. Which means Young is in limbo and, for now at least, “only” 82 players can say they’re All-Stars.
I’ll let MLB spokesperson Phyllis Merhige explain:
Clearly it was a communication misunderstanding. Michael Young is the next guy on the player voting, so if Adrian Beltre can’t play it’s Michael Young. But Adrian had said all along he was going to make a decision about how he felt. I don’t know where Joe got it from. Maybe I miscommunicated it.
Last year Chone Figgins was added to the AL roster very late, arriving at the ballpark just hours before the game, so keeping Young on call is nothing new. It does seem kind of weird that when people look back at his career whether Young is a six-time All-Star or a seven-time All-Star is dependent upon how Beltre’s hamstring feels in the next few hours.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 272
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (275)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)