Jul 12, 2010, 3:48 PM EDT
During his press conference this afternoon All-Star manager Joe Girardi announced that Michael Young was picked to replace the injured Adrian Beltre on the AL roster, which was fine except … well, apparently no one told Beltre.
Girardi was under the impression that Beltre was unavailable after injuring his hamstring yesterday, but the Red Sox’s third baseman is still hoping to play in tomorrow’s game. Which means Young is in limbo and, for now at least, “only” 82 players can say they’re All-Stars.
I’ll let MLB spokesperson Phyllis Merhige explain:
Clearly it was a communication misunderstanding. Michael Young is the next guy on the player voting, so if Adrian Beltre can’t play it’s Michael Young. But Adrian had said all along he was going to make a decision about how he felt. I don’t know where Joe got it from. Maybe I miscommunicated it.
Last year Chone Figgins was added to the AL roster very late, arriving at the ballpark just hours before the game, so keeping Young on call is nothing new. It does seem kind of weird that when people look back at his career whether Young is a six-time All-Star or a seven-time All-Star is dependent upon how Beltre’s hamstring feels in the next few hours.
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 1
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 92
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (92)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)