Jul 12, 2010, 4:45 PM EST
After numerous setbacks and false starts recovering from his abdominal injury and subsequent back problems Brian Roberts finally began a rehab assignment today in the rookie-level Gulf Coast League, going 3-for-3 while leading off and playing second base.
Roberts said last week that he’s targeting an August 1 return, but president of baseball operations Andy MacPhail would only say that the Orioles “will see how it goes” in terms of establishing a timetable.
He’s been on the disabled list since early April and obviously there’s no real need to rush him back with the Orioles miles from contention.
Roberts is making $10 million in the first season of a four-year contract extension signed in February of 2009, so the Orioles still owe the 32-year-old second baseman $10 million in 2011, 2012, and 2013.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 255
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (261)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)