Jul 12, 2010, 4:45 PM EDT
After numerous setbacks and false starts recovering from his abdominal injury and subsequent back problems Brian Roberts finally began a rehab assignment today in the rookie-level Gulf Coast League, going 3-for-3 while leading off and playing second base.
Roberts said last week that he’s targeting an August 1 return, but president of baseball operations Andy MacPhail would only say that the Orioles “will see how it goes” in terms of establishing a timetable.
He’s been on the disabled list since early April and obviously there’s no real need to rush him back with the Orioles miles from contention.
Roberts is making $10 million in the first season of a four-year contract extension signed in February of 2009, so the Orioles still owe the 32-year-old second baseman $10 million in 2011, 2012, and 2013.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 4
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 11
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)