Jul 12, 2010, 6:15 PM EDT
The reason he’s playing center field is because when we did the fan
voting and the player voting, we uh, Hart, had
the, he was ahead of the outfielders, he has to start, he was supposed
to start the game, and Ethier’s the one I chose to play center field
because I remember he played there a lot. We do not have what they call a
true center fielder right now. We have some our roster, at the same
time that was the reason why he started in center field.
– N.L. All-Star Manager Charlie Manuel explaining why Andre Ethier — who hasn’t really ever played center field — is the starting centerfielder for the N.L. All-Star team tomorrow night. Easy for him to say.
Regular readers know that I often make up fanciful Charlie Manuel quotes that have him talking like some mid-century wise guy. I read through the above quote five times in an effort to make up some more Cholly-isms, but decided that this stood on its own just swell.
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 0
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 10
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 140
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 101
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (140)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)