Jul 12, 2010, 6:15 PM EDT
The reason he’s playing center field is because when we did the fan
voting and the player voting, we uh, Hart, had
the, he was ahead of the outfielders, he has to start, he was supposed
to start the game, and Ethier’s the one I chose to play center field
because I remember he played there a lot. We do not have what they call a
true center fielder right now. We have some our roster, at the same
time that was the reason why he started in center field.
– N.L. All-Star Manager Charlie Manuel explaining why Andre Ethier — who hasn’t really ever played center field — is the starting centerfielder for the N.L. All-Star team tomorrow night. Easy for him to say.
Regular readers know that I often make up fanciful Charlie Manuel quotes that have him talking like some mid-century wise guy. I read through the above quote five times in an effort to make up some more Cholly-isms, but decided that this stood on its own just swell.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 42
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 57
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (106)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)