Jul 12, 2010, 6:15 PM EDT
The reason he’s playing center field is because when we did the fan
voting and the player voting, we uh, Hart, had
the, he was ahead of the outfielders, he has to start, he was supposed
to start the game, and Ethier’s the one I chose to play center field
because I remember he played there a lot. We do not have what they call a
true center fielder right now. We have some our roster, at the same
time that was the reason why he started in center field.
– N.L. All-Star Manager Charlie Manuel explaining why Andre Ethier — who hasn’t really ever played center field — is the starting centerfielder for the N.L. All-Star team tomorrow night. Easy for him to say.
Regular readers know that I often make up fanciful Charlie Manuel quotes that have him talking like some mid-century wise guy. I read through the above quote five times in an effort to make up some more Cholly-isms, but decided that this stood on its own just swell.
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 18
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 20
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 18
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 65
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 42
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (217)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)