Jul 12, 2010, 6:15 PM EDT
The reason he’s playing center field is because when we did the fan
voting and the player voting, we uh, Hart, had
the, he was ahead of the outfielders, he has to start, he was supposed
to start the game, and Ethier’s the one I chose to play center field
because I remember he played there a lot. We do not have what they call a
true center fielder right now. We have some our roster, at the same
time that was the reason why he started in center field.
— N.L. All-Star Manager Charlie Manuel explaining why Andre Ethier — who hasn’t really ever played center field — is the starting centerfielder for the N.L. All-Star team tomorrow night. Easy for him to say.
Regular readers know that I often make up fanciful Charlie Manuel quotes that have him talking like some mid-century wise guy. I read through the above quote five times in an effort to make up some more Cholly-isms, but decided that this stood on its own just swell.
- Nationals place Stephen Strasburg on the 15-day disabled list with neck tightness 2
- Jerry Dior, designer of MLB’s iconic logo, has passed away 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 112
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 16
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 2
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 5
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 77
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (114)
- The Big Unit: Wide Angle Watcher (90)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (89)
- Chipper Jones will fight you if you insult his “girl” (84)
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit (77)