Jul 12, 2010, 6:15 PM EDT
The reason he’s playing center field is because when we did the fan
voting and the player voting, we uh, Hart, had
the, he was ahead of the outfielders, he has to start, he was supposed
to start the game, and Ethier’s the one I chose to play center field
because I remember he played there a lot. We do not have what they call a
true center fielder right now. We have some our roster, at the same
time that was the reason why he started in center field.
– N.L. All-Star Manager Charlie Manuel explaining why Andre Ethier — who hasn’t really ever played center field — is the starting centerfielder for the N.L. All-Star team tomorrow night. Easy for him to say.
Regular readers know that I often make up fanciful Charlie Manuel quotes that have him talking like some mid-century wise guy. I read through the above quote five times in an effort to make up some more Cholly-isms, but decided that this stood on its own just swell.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)