Jul 12, 2010, 10:31 PM EDT
“That’s going to take a couple hours off my night.”
– Detroit Tigers All-Star Justin Verlander, discussing how an increased role in the All-Star game will impact his social life.
Verlander was joking, obviously, when asked to compare his first All-Star appearance in 2007, when he hardly expected to get into the game, versus his current role as one of the veteran pitchers on a young AL staff.
It’s good to know he has his priorities straight. After all, the Tigers are in
first place, second place, a half game behind the White Sox. Who knows, maybe home-field advantage in the World Series could mean something for the Tigers. How late is Disneyland open, anyway?
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 19
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 19
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)