Jul 12, 2010, 5:25 PM EDT
I’ve reported a bit of bad news regarding the Rangers sale over the past year, and when I did I was always surprised to read the hostile reactions of Rangers fans on various Rangers blogs. Hostility directed at me directly, not at the news. Killing the messenger is always tiresome, you know?
But at least no one was threatening to literally kill the messenger in those instances. The same can’t be said for the court-appointed reorganization officer in the bankruptcy case:
have apparently decided to target the negotiator appointed to
work out a deal to lift the Rangers out of Chapter 11. William K.
Snyder, 51, has suggested that the bidding be reopened at a new
Security at the courthouse was stepped up
after Snyder received threatening phone calls, U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Michael Lynn
Snyder declined comment on the
Security was stepped up at the federal
courthouse Friday, when Snyder attended a Rangers bankruptcy
hearing. A Federal Protective Service vehicle was parked
conspicuously in front of the entrance, and the number of guards
on duty was more than doubled.
“I don’t know
anything more than that Snyder has received threatening calls,”
Lynn said in an e-mail relayed from the bench.
The judge is at least keeping his sense of humor about it all:
“I am not
particularly worried about them. After all, we
do get those e-mails from disgruntled fans who believe — as, I
understand, do some sports writers — that I should construe the
Bankruptcy Code as wished for by the fans.”
Glad to see everyone is keeping things in perspective down in Texas.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)