Jul 12, 2010, 5:25 PM EDT
I’ve reported a bit of bad news regarding the Rangers sale over the past year, and when I did I was always surprised to read the hostile reactions of Rangers fans on various Rangers blogs. Hostility directed at me directly, not at the news. Killing the messenger is always tiresome, you know?
But at least no one was threatening to literally kill the messenger in those instances. The same can’t be said for the court-appointed reorganization officer in the bankruptcy case:
have apparently decided to target the negotiator appointed to
work out a deal to lift the Rangers out of Chapter 11. William K.
Snyder, 51, has suggested that the bidding be reopened at a new
Security at the courthouse was stepped up
after Snyder received threatening phone calls, U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Michael Lynn
Snyder declined comment on the
Security was stepped up at the federal
courthouse Friday, when Snyder attended a Rangers bankruptcy
hearing. A Federal Protective Service vehicle was parked
conspicuously in front of the entrance, and the number of guards
on duty was more than doubled.
“I don’t know
anything more than that Snyder has received threatening calls,”
Lynn said in an e-mail relayed from the bench.
The judge is at least keeping his sense of humor about it all:
“I am not
particularly worried about them. After all, we
do get those e-mails from disgruntled fans who believe — as, I
understand, do some sports writers — that I should construe the
Bankruptcy Code as wished for by the fans.”
Glad to see everyone is keeping things in perspective down in Texas.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 7
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 11
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)