Jul 12, 2010, 5:25 PM EDT
I’ve reported a bit of bad news regarding the Rangers sale over the past year, and when I did I was always surprised to read the hostile reactions of Rangers fans on various Rangers blogs. Hostility directed at me directly, not at the news. Killing the messenger is always tiresome, you know?
But at least no one was threatening to literally kill the messenger in those instances. The same can’t be said for the court-appointed reorganization officer in the bankruptcy case:
have apparently decided to target the negotiator appointed to
work out a deal to lift the Rangers out of Chapter 11. William K.
Snyder, 51, has suggested that the bidding be reopened at a new
Security at the courthouse was stepped up
after Snyder received threatening phone calls, U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Michael Lynn
Snyder declined comment on the
Security was stepped up at the federal
courthouse Friday, when Snyder attended a Rangers bankruptcy
hearing. A Federal Protective Service vehicle was parked
conspicuously in front of the entrance, and the number of guards
on duty was more than doubled.
“I don’t know
anything more than that Snyder has received threatening calls,”
Lynn said in an e-mail relayed from the bench.
The judge is at least keeping his sense of humor about it all:
“I am not
particularly worried about them. After all, we
do get those e-mails from disgruntled fans who believe — as, I
understand, do some sports writers — that I should construe the
Bankruptcy Code as wished for by the fans.”
Glad to see everyone is keeping things in perspective down in Texas.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 2
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 30
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 4
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 12
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 101
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)