The Angels plan on going after Carl Crawford

Jul 12, 2010, 4:30 PM EDT

Is it too early for some winter hot stove? Nah, never too early.

Ken Rosenthal has a new column up, and it’s got all kinds of random things in it. The thing that caught my eye was his discussion of the Angels’ potential moves this summer, which might include going after a first baseman. They want a rental, though, not a guy under contract for next year, because Kendry Morales will be back. Why not just shift Morales or the new guy to DH?  Because Bobby Abreu will be there. Well wait, why won’t Abreu still be in the outfield?

Because the Angels “intend to pursue Carl Crawford as a free agent,” Rosenthal reports.

All of which makes sense. And despite the fact that the Yankees have been assumed to be Crawford’s ultimate landing spot, the Angels might just try harder to get him. After all, the Crawford-to-the-Yankees speculation arose before Brett Gardner decided to break out to the tune of .309/.396/.415. Not Crawford’s numbers, of course, but a pretty nice cut-market imitation that might inspire the Yankees to look for a different kind of player during their annual winter shopping spree.

1. YankeesfanLen - Jul 12, 2010 at 4:39 PM

As Brett Gardner continues through the season he is getting more and more respect and may work himself into a permanent left field position. We’ve had far worse (and more expensive) guys out there for corn’s sake. (I like doing my Fred Mertz, makes me ready for the All Star Game)

2. Kung - Jul 12, 2010 at 5:19 PM

Makes sense, Crawford would fit perfectly into Mike Scoscia (sp?)’s system.

3. IRONBOY - Jul 12, 2010 at 6:40 PM

Crawford is the Heart and Sole of the Rays. If they do not resign C.C., I will have a real hard time placing my CRAWFORD jersey on a hanger, in the closet. “It’s a business” does not apply to a “Franchise” player. Keep it up, Carl !!!

4. Old Gator - Jul 12, 2010 at 11:56 PM

I was flying home from Tampa to Macondo this afternoon. After we took off from TPA, the plane took a leftward bank over St. Pete and the Tropicana Dump appeared below us like some tarnished pewter wart. If I were Carl Crawford, I would want to play anywhere I could see the sky – the inside of the Tumulus looks like a basement ceiling, all pipes and cobwebs, appearing further away than it is because you took acid cut with too much strychnine – and wasn’t being perpetually stalked by that ever-malfunctioning hyperpineal predator drone up by the ceiling. Whoever offers him the bluest, most open sky will get him. A few years of therapy for having had to play in that tomb all these years and he’ll be right as rain.

5. Chris Fiorentino - Jul 13, 2010 at 9:27 AM

“And finally, there is only one baseball player who would pull a LeBron and stage a one-hour television special to announce his free-agent decision. In fact, Alex Rodriguez probably has been kicking himself all week, saying, “Why didn’t I think of that?”
    Best line of the article…and how true it is!!!

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3935)