Jul 12, 2010, 5:12 PM EST
MLB.com’s Bill Ladson reports that the Nats haven’t spoken with Bryce Harper yet about a contract. Harper was drafted on June 7th. The deadline to sign him or lose him is August 15th.
No one should be particularly concerned about this, however, because as everyone knows, Scott Boras is the agent, and as everyone who pays attention to such things, Scott Boras never, ever has his clients sign early. Remember: last year Stephen Strasburg didn’t sign until minutes before the midnight deadline. The year before that there was a giant hubub as Boras client Pedro Alvarez actually signed after the deadline but ended up getting a mulligan on it for reasons that remain rather murky.
So yeah, they haven’t talked, but no, it’s no big deal. In fact, it won’t be a big deal into around 10:30 P.M. on the night of August 15th.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 48
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)