Jul 12, 2010, 5:12 PM EST
MLB.com’s Bill Ladson reports that the Nats haven’t spoken with Bryce Harper yet about a contract. Harper was drafted on June 7th. The deadline to sign him or lose him is August 15th.
No one should be particularly concerned about this, however, because as everyone knows, Scott Boras is the agent, and as everyone who pays attention to such things, Scott Boras never, ever has his clients sign early. Remember: last year Stephen Strasburg didn’t sign until minutes before the midnight deadline. The year before that there was a giant hubub as Boras client Pedro Alvarez actually signed after the deadline but ended up getting a mulligan on it for reasons that remain rather murky.
So yeah, they haven’t talked, but no, it’s no big deal. In fact, it won’t be a big deal into around 10:30 P.M. on the night of August 15th.
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 91
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 27
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 66
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 257
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (257)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano signing only bad if the Mariners stop now (93)