Jul 12, 2010, 5:12 PM EDT
MLB.com’s Bill Ladson reports that the Nats haven’t spoken with Bryce Harper yet about a contract. Harper was drafted on June 7th. The deadline to sign him or lose him is August 15th.
No one should be particularly concerned about this, however, because as everyone knows, Scott Boras is the agent, and as everyone who pays attention to such things, Scott Boras never, ever has his clients sign early. Remember: last year Stephen Strasburg didn’t sign until minutes before the midnight deadline. The year before that there was a giant hubub as Boras client Pedro Alvarez actually signed after the deadline but ended up getting a mulligan on it for reasons that remain rather murky.
So yeah, they haven’t talked, but no, it’s no big deal. In fact, it won’t be a big deal into around 10:30 P.M. on the night of August 15th.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)