Jul 13, 2010, 11:20 AM EST
Adam Dunn was really enthused about signing a contract extension with the Nats earlier this year, but that enthusiasm has waned, Buster Olney reports, as the Nats have been less eager and trade speculation has risen.
On that count, Nats’ GM Mike Rizzo has said that it would take “an extraordinary deal” to trade Dunn. But if Rizzo is that attached to Dunn, you’d think that Rizzo would be working harder to do an extension. Because unlike a lot of guys, Dunn might very well accept an arbitration offer if one is made at the end of the season. And of course, if an offer isn’t made, the Nats won’t get a draft pick or two if Dunn changes course and decides to sign with another team.
I guess I could see the Nats and Dunn sort of waltzing passive-aggressively into another year together, but it doesn’t make a ton of sense. If I’m Rizzo and I’m not sold on extending Dunn, I trade him right now.
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 129
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 21
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 244
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (257)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)