Jul 13, 2010, 3:47 PM EDT
Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post notes that today is the one-year anniversary of Jim Riggleman taking over as the Nationals’ manager.
Washington is 72-92 (.440) under Riggleman, which doesn’t look very good until you compare it to their 158-252 (.386) record under the man he replaced, Manny Acta.
Acta is now the manager in Cleveland and the Indians are 34-54 (.386), so it’d be pretty tough to argue that replacing him with Riggleman was the wrong move.
Riggleman was definitely the right man to restore some order in Washington and get the Nationals heading in the right direction, but it remains to be seen if he’s the right man to actually lead Stephen Strasburg, Ryan Zimmerman, and company into contention.
Riggleman has a .444 winning percentage in 11 seasons and 1,339 games as a big-league manager and his only two winning seasons came with the Cubs way back in 1995 and 1998. I tend to think the Nationals are a lot closer to being contenders than their current record suggests, but when the young talent starts gelling and “respectability” is no longer the goal will Riggleman be the right guy to lead them?
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 20
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 12
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 96
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (132)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)