Jul 13, 2010, 6:38 PM EST
ANAHEIM, Calif. — I guess I shouldn’t have expected anything less out of Brian McCann. I think most players would stick up for their teammate in this situation, even if that teammate happened to be one of the least-deserving All-Stars in baseball history.
Nonetheless, McCann should get some kudos for a pretty admirable job attempting to lay out the case for Infante’s inclusion in tonight’s game:
“He can’t pitch and he can’t catch, but he can play every position at a high level and we get to see that every night,” McCann said. “His teammates get to see how valuable he is to us. He’s hitting .320 (.332, actually!), he’s gotten big hit after big hit, he plays great defense at every position.
“He will cherish this forever, and he deserves it. People who say someone else should have been on the team don’t know how hard it is to come to the field not knowing where you’re going to hit in the lineup, not knowing if you’re going to play third, center, right, second, short. So he deserves to be here just as much as anybody.”
And Infante said: Well I couldn’t understand much of anything, other than “very happy.”
I guess it’s time for me to take some Spanish lessons, or for someone to rustle up a translator for Omar.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 0
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 289
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (289)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)