Jul 13, 2010, 6:38 PM EDT
ANAHEIM, Calif. — I guess I shouldn’t have expected anything less out of Brian McCann. I think most players would stick up for their teammate in this situation, even if that teammate happened to be one of the least-deserving All-Stars in baseball history.
Nonetheless, McCann should get some kudos for a pretty admirable job attempting to lay out the case for Infante’s inclusion in tonight’s game:
“He can’t pitch and he can’t catch, but he can play every position at a high level and we get to see that every night,” McCann said. “His teammates get to see how valuable he is to us. He’s hitting .320 (.332, actually!), he’s gotten big hit after big hit, he plays great defense at every position.
“He will cherish this forever, and he deserves it. People who say someone else should have been on the team don’t know how hard it is to come to the field not knowing where you’re going to hit in the lineup, not knowing if you’re going to play third, center, right, second, short. So he deserves to be here just as much as anybody.”
And Infante said: Well I couldn’t understand much of anything, other than “very happy.”
I guess it’s time for me to take some Spanish lessons, or for someone to rustle up a translator for Omar.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 7
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 10
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 55
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 65
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)