Jul 13, 2010, 10:55 AM EDT
Cliff Lee has been traded four times, including three moves in the past 12 months, so with free agency around the corner he naturally wants to negotiate a no-trade clause into his next contract.
I’m going to do everything I can to have that in there. I want to have some control of my life.
Lee went from Cleveland to Philadelphia on July 29 of last year, moved from Philadelphia to Seattle on December 16, and was shipped from Seattle to Texas last week.
In all, he’s been traded for the following players in the past 350 or so days: Justin Smoak, Blake Beavan, Josh Lueke, Matthew Lawson, Phillippe Aumont, J.C. Ramirez, Tyson Gillies, Jason Knapp, Carlos Carrasco, Jason Donald, Lou Marson.
What’s amazing is that none of those trades were the biggest deal Lee has been involved in, because back when he was a minor leaguer in the Expos’ farm system Montreal traded him to Cleveland along with Grady Sizemore, Brandon Phillips, and Lee Stevens for Bartolo Colon.
So yeah, it’s tough to blame Lee for wanting to know he’ll be staying in one place for a while after this season.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 29
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 236
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (236)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)