Jul 13, 2010, 10:55 AM EDT
Cliff Lee has been traded four times, including three moves in the past 12 months, so with free agency around the corner he naturally wants to negotiate a no-trade clause into his next contract.
I’m going to do everything I can to have that in there. I want to have some control of my life.
Lee went from Cleveland to Philadelphia on July 29 of last year, moved from Philadelphia to Seattle on December 16, and was shipped from Seattle to Texas last week.
In all, he’s been traded for the following players in the past 350 or so days: Justin Smoak, Blake Beavan, Josh Lueke, Matthew Lawson, Phillippe Aumont, J.C. Ramirez, Tyson Gillies, Jason Knapp, Carlos Carrasco, Jason Donald, Lou Marson.
What’s amazing is that none of those trades were the biggest deal Lee has been involved in, because back when he was a minor leaguer in the Expos’ farm system Montreal traded him to Cleveland along with Grady Sizemore, Brandon Phillips, and Lee Stevens for Bartolo Colon.
So yeah, it’s tough to blame Lee for wanting to know he’ll be staying in one place for a while after this season.
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 1
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 5
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 54
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)