Jul 13, 2010, 10:55 AM EST
Cliff Lee has been traded four times, including three moves in the past 12 months, so with free agency around the corner he naturally wants to negotiate a no-trade clause into his next contract.
I’m going to do everything I can to have that in there. I want to have some control of my life.
Lee went from Cleveland to Philadelphia on July 29 of last year, moved from Philadelphia to Seattle on December 16, and was shipped from Seattle to Texas last week.
In all, he’s been traded for the following players in the past 350 or so days: Justin Smoak, Blake Beavan, Josh Lueke, Matthew Lawson, Phillippe Aumont, J.C. Ramirez, Tyson Gillies, Jason Knapp, Carlos Carrasco, Jason Donald, Lou Marson.
What’s amazing is that none of those trades were the biggest deal Lee has been involved in, because back when he was a minor leaguer in the Expos’ farm system Montreal traded him to Cleveland along with Grady Sizemore, Brandon Phillips, and Lee Stevens for Bartolo Colon.
So yeah, it’s tough to blame Lee for wanting to know he’ll be staying in one place for a while after this season.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)