Jul 13, 2010, 10:55 AM EDT
Cliff Lee has been traded four times, including three moves in the past 12 months, so with free agency around the corner he naturally wants to negotiate a no-trade clause into his next contract.
I’m going to do everything I can to have that in there. I want to have some control of my life.
Lee went from Cleveland to Philadelphia on July 29 of last year, moved from Philadelphia to Seattle on December 16, and was shipped from Seattle to Texas last week.
In all, he’s been traded for the following players in the past 350 or so days: Justin Smoak, Blake Beavan, Josh Lueke, Matthew Lawson, Phillippe Aumont, J.C. Ramirez, Tyson Gillies, Jason Knapp, Carlos Carrasco, Jason Donald, Lou Marson.
What’s amazing is that none of those trades were the biggest deal Lee has been involved in, because back when he was a minor leaguer in the Expos’ farm system Montreal traded him to Cleveland along with Grady Sizemore, Brandon Phillips, and Lee Stevens for Bartolo Colon.
So yeah, it’s tough to blame Lee for wanting to know he’ll be staying in one place for a while after this season.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 42
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (200)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (126)